Sony DSC-T1 for MPK-THA vs FinePix WP-FX420 for F420

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lanwu

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a new UW camera/housing & am wondering about these 2 models.

If you know these 2 cameras then you know the range that I'm looking at is ASAP....As small as possible!! :eyebrow: The type that can disappear into a BCD pocket & still allow for other stuff...

These 2 look like the smallest (these days anyway) & mostly, I'm looking for either:

~ actual UW pictures using these setups

~ any other digital camera suggestions to match these 2 setups

~ comments on their UW performance
- as i'm sure they have their limitations!!
- for 1thing, the small flash on the Sony seems pretty useless for UW!

Much appreciated.... :dazzler1:

lanwu:
Hi All,

I'm looking

~ any other digital camera suggestions to match these 2 setups

Oceanhaus Housing for Casio EX-S3, only 3.1MP, but Oceanhaus housings are very small, have top notch quality, especially the glass. And the coolest colors.
http://www.absea.net/

Also might wanna check out the Pentax Optio s4i. I saw it in the shop the other day with housing and it is tiny.

Claims to be the worlds smallest digicam.
It's 4MP you'll have to find out the rest of the details.

I can't comment on the Finepix, but I've been using one of the Sonys for a couple of years now. They are great little cameras that do have some limitations but make up for it with the small size. Mine easily fits in a BC pocket when not in use UW and a pants pocket topside. The flash has plenty of power and I always use mine in the lowest power setting. The only issue that you should be warned about is the Sonys do shift towards green underwater. This is easily fixed in Photoshop. Here's a gallery of shots with a Sony DSC-P5, internal flash.

Click Here

lukeROB:
Also might wanna check out the Pentax Optio s4i. I saw it in the shop the other day with housing and it is tiny.

Claims to be the worlds smallest digicam.
It's 4MP you'll have to find out the rest of the details.

I have the optio s4i and today just received my uw housing, I'll let you guys know how the pics turn out.

My personal opinion (I guess backed up by physics) is that you want to opt for as large a sensor as possible (large pixels, more light per pixel, therefore lower noise).
This obviously is in contradiction to the small size, but compromises are available.

The Sonys have large sensors (1/1.8"), some of the other compacts are smaller, but have smaller sensors. Check before you buy.

The important thing about the strobe is distance of strobe from the lens axis, the further the better to reduce backscatter (obviously not so important if you are going to get an external strobe!!). You would not tend to run out of strobe power on any of these cameras, since objects more than ~0.5m away will be out of range due to excessive backscatter.

I've come across some others too...The Minolta X(t/g/i)....Some, not all of these have UW housing too...but again the flash is small & close to hte lens axis. On the up side, the device is smart looking & sleek.

Anyone else w/ photos using these cameras?

Funk...your photos w/ your new UW housing are excellent....Thoroughly impressed ...with photographer & camera!! Did you use the built-in flash or did you have an external strobe?

....Good to see some cold water pics coming up online too....There's so much in the water there & just not enough of them online!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom