RX100 Mark 1, Meikon housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tholden1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I got a great deal on an open box Sony RX100 Mark 1 ($292 after tax). So, I started looking at an underwater case. I am travelling to Bonaire on Saturday for the first time so I wanted a setup for that to take along with my older GoPro Hero2.

I came up with three options:

1. Ikelite "action housing" for $299. I didn't like this because you can't use the flash. I won't be getting a strobe or anything. I will have a dive light and so I could use that, but I wanted at least the option to use a flash during macro shots.

2. Sony MPK-URX100A, $329. I wish Sony didn't try to fit all of their cameras in one case. As has been stated in other posts here, and from Sony ""When DSC-RX100 or DSC-RX100M2 is set into the housing, the center of the filter thread of the housing and that of the lens on the camera do not align. Thus the conversion, macro and other lenses attached to the filter thread cannot be used." So, I want at least the option of using attached lenses in the future.

3. Meikon (or maybe CamDive if the listing is not accurate). I got a really good deal ($200) on the last of this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T5T7CDA . It says it is Meikon but it looks like the pictures of the CamDive case. Maybe they are both the same.

I chose the Meikon/CamDive but haven't received it yet (being shipped Prime to get here on time). People on here stated that the Meikon case is good. I may get a SquareTrade warranty just in case since it should cover issues with water flooding and shouldn't be that much for such a cheap camera. But, is this case really safe? I know the name "Ikelite" and I know the name "Sony" but I'd hate to have my camera flooded by picking a no-name Chinese brand.

And, I know there is a case by Recsea (CWS-RX100 for $499) and a case by Nauticam (NA-17404 for $950) but I can't really justify spending a lot more than the cost of the camera just for a case.

So, has the Meikon/CamDive been a reliable underwater case for 80 foot and less dives?

Thanks.

I have used a Meikon housing for my canon g16 for 3 years with no issues. Had it down to 95 feet today.

The housing is also sold under other names. The housing also looks VERY similar to the Canon housing.

The only technical issue with my g16 housing is that it does not provide controls for the front or back wheels (aperture and shutter) so I have to use 2 push buttons to make changes.

I have the meikon for my sony rx-100mk2. No issues and I like it. You will have a challenge when you connect external strobes as the housing is transparent.

I have the meikon for my sony rx-100mk2. No issues and I like it. You will have a challenge when you connect external strobes as the housing is transparent.
Can you explain the challenge?

3. Meikon (or maybe CamDive if the listing is not accurate). I got a really good deal ($200) on the last of this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T5T7CDA . It says it is Meikon but it looks like the pictures of the CamDive case. Maybe they are both the same.

Can you use the built-in flash with the Meikon housing? I don't think you can with the one for the Canon G7x Mk II. Aside that, from my research their housings seem to get pretty good reviews. It looks like they are sometimes rebranded for different markets.

Max depth 40m (130ft) by the way, so should be fine for your needs.

Last edited:
I am satisfied with the overall quality of the housing.

There are just 2 downsides:
- The flash diffuser is a joke
- The rear control wheel can not be used
(but the Sony housing is no better in this regard)

Thanks UFOrb, thanks offfi.

Offi, I'm glad you have a good impression of the case. I have it now and it is pretty nice, much nicer than I anticipated. Since you said that the diffuser isn't that good, I'm assuming that you can get the flash to work?

UFOrb, I have no idea whether the flash will work yet. I probably won't even get a chance to try it out until I'm already in Bonaire since the time is so short.

Thanks UFOrb, thanks offfi.

Offi, I'm glad you have a good impression of the case. I have it now and it is pretty nice, much nicer than I anticipated. Since you said that the diffuser isn't that good, I'm assuming that you can get the flash to work?

UFOrb, I have no idea whether the flash will work yet. I probably won't even get a chance to try it out until I'm already in Bonaire since the time is so short.

There is a very long review on the mk1 housing:
https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/meikon-underwater-housing-for-sony-dsc-rx100-review

The diffuser is simply too short, which results in a dark bottom right corner of the image. I'm not entirely sure if they changed the design of the diffuser in the meantime.
In the link above, you will find a little hack, that might take care of this issue. Personally, I went for an external strobe.

The only problem you can have with a transparent case (and I think is the challenge Islandboysrule was writing about) is that using an external strobe the camera flash disturbs the lighting. You can easily solve the problem putting some black tape inside the case near the flash to mask the light. Make attention to leave space for the optical cable.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I will be getting a video light or a strobe sometime. However, the setup without it worked well for Bonaire. I put the Meikon on the bracket that came with it and put my GoPro where the light attachment was. So, I used the same bracket and shot with both, even though by doing so I am unable to add a light. I know I'll get better pictures if I add a light. Maybe I'll do that someday.

The case got a little scratched up when I fell at one of the entry points. Those rocks can be slick. I always have the lens port covered/protected so it just scratched up the back part where you view the LCD. It's not too bad but maybe I'll try some plastic polish to see if I can get it out.

I'll be trying this configuration again later this year on a cruise in Roatan, and Cozumel. I only saw one turtle in Bonaire in 17 dives. Maybe I'll have more luck in Roatan with getting some turtle shots.

Back
Top Bottom