Sonic cleaning solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OBXDIVEGUY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'll be servicing my regs myself soon. I have a sonic cleaner that I've never used. What kind of solution do you all recommend I use?

One cycle with hot water & detergent to remove grease and a second cycle with 50/50 vinegar and water for verdigris if necessary. I do not do the acid bath unless necessary. It often is not with well cared for regs.

Same. The vinegar is fairly aggressive and it's does not take long. DO NOT put aluminum parts in the solution and be sure to rinse the parts well. I use white vinegar but I guess either would work.

I'll be servicing my regs myself soon. I have a sonic cleaner that I've never used. What kind of solution do you all recommend I use?
It depends on the situation. For regs that I have not previously serviced (e.g. I buy a used reg on eBay), and most definitely for regs that have any evidence of corrosion from salt water, I prefer the GMC (Global Manufacturing Corporation) Hydrosonic Cleaner (which is mildly acidic). It is not inexpensive, but it will CLEAN. For routine annual cleaning after that, I may use a dilute solution of Simple Green. Haven't tried vinegar.

I use diluted "Blue Gold" cleaner, 50/50 Vinegar or diluted Simple Green Depending on the cleaning requirement and recommendation from the MFG.

Like Simple green will turn some Omni swivel component black (kinda cool looking actually), so unless this is what you are going for I would avoid it unless you know how it will interact with the part.

Thanks for the tips!

I have blue gold but yet to run into a reg that needed it. Right now there is a vinegar/water mix in mine and once the heat is turned on 3 minutes on the timer makes anything I've done so far look like new followed by a through rinsing of course.

It's exciting work when we need to ultrasonic a salt used reg just to disasemble it.
So, Gene, in a case like that, what solution do YOU use in the cleaner? As I noted, I like the GMC solution. Have you found something even stronger / more effective?
It's a bonus when they come apart without tool marks..
Absolutely!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom