something different...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This is only the second time I have seen one of these guys...on the dive yesterday there were two. They are very skittish...I waited over 10 minutes for this guy to pop out and stay out as much as he was. In that time I took 4 shots - this one had the most of him, the others mostly just have the head and part of a claw...

I think they are Hairy Lobsters, part of the Nephropidae or soft lobster Family. There are only three types in my book (and none at all in my book on Australian crustraceans) and I think it is a Enoplometopus occidentalis. Distribution East Africa to Indonesia; Philippines to Hawaii...usually if they are found here they are listed as NW Australia or such.

Anyway, I thought he was funky and something different to post here. If anyone knows anything about him, I'd love to hear it.

Kinda cute, isn't he? Good photo!

I believe you are correct in that it is a Red Reef Lobster (Enoplometopidae occidentalis)

This one is from here and looks the same and I identified it from the John P. Hoover of Hawaii's Sea Creatures.

reeflobster2.jpg

Great shot, Gillgan!

Wish mine would have been in a better situation like your was, Gilligan!

I wonder, is he common here and is he found elsewhere in Australia? Seems odd my special crustaceans book doesn't have him or any close relatives!

Both are keepers!
(Pssst, ....alcina.....maybe you took him home with you when you were here... :eyebrow: )

Back
Top Bottom