Something between a cruise and a live-aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Terry,

This option isn't Caribbean in location, but features some fascinating trips for divers and non-divers alike. The two most frequent orbits are either between Vancouver, BC and Alaska, and off the coast of Mexico. Both have their own special features.

That would be cool! I've always wanted to dive in Alaska.

Thanks! I'll take a look at it.

Terry

Look into private cat charters in the BVI's - ask Dr. Lynne (TS&M)

All the BVI's are close enough to be reached in one day or less and you can go over the the USVI's also. Some of the boats have compressors, if not there are options for getting tanks at the diveops on each island. Several diveops on Virgin Gorda (DiveBVI) and Tortola (Blue Water) do rendezvous diving - they meet you at your mooring with tanks/DM etc. - at just about any of the smaller islands in that area.

Snorkel the Baths off VG, dive the Rhone, the Indians, the Dogs, Norman, Anegada and many more good to great divesites. Shop in St. Thomas, dine on St John, drinks at Pusser's, Foxy's, the Willy T - all the various smaller islands have dockside bars - it's all possible within a week. In that area a lot of the amenities are clustered around the various ports since it's a sail-driven economy so you typically walk {or short cab ride} to nearby stuff.

Last edited:
Does anybody know of anything that's somewhere between a cruise and a live-aboard?

I was going to suggest the Cuan Law, but someone else already has. but it doesn't sail far from BVI.

check out Windjammer Cruises Tall Ships Sail the Caribbean
I think it is exactly what you are looking for.

:D

oh.... anyone considering a cruise with them needs to do a lot of reading and research before putting money down.

Start with the safety records of the Fantome before she sank, loosing the entire crew. Reports were that her engine room floors would be covered in water if they didn't have the pumps running and they attempted to take her out into a hurricane?

Windjammers is out of biz, but you might try the Aqua Cat Scuba Diving Bahamas Liveboard Aqua Cat. They are a dive liveaboard but have a 28 passenger launch that runs non-divers on excursions, either snorkeling or beach excursions. The cabins are similar to a cruise ship.

hadn't heard they went under. A diver at our LDS used them several times and said he really liked them. Too bad.

There are a couple of boats in Fiji that look very promising for those people wanting to do a liveaboard with a non-diving spouse. I don't know anyone who has done these but have seen them on several websites:
Trip-N-Tour: The Dive / Travel Experts of the Pacific

and

Trip-N-Tour: The Dive / Travel Experts of the Pacific

the first one really does appear to be a cross between a cruise and a liveaboard. The second one is more of a liveaboard which caters to both divers and non-diver adventures.

robin:D

Just got back from our Star Flyer cruise to French Polynesia and it was fantastic! While there is not enough diving scheduled for a true dive junkie, it is a perfect mix for someone with a non diving spouse(there were a few aboard our cruise and everyone came away happy) Very International passenger mix so it was nice to get views from all over the world.

For those interested, got our new Scuba Diving magazine in the mail when we returned & it has a very good article in it about the Star Flyer and diving in FP.

Mike

Regent Seven Seas Cruises has the Paul Gaughin in French Polynesia. It was fantastic, only 300 passengers, and diving from inflatables right off the back of the boat. That trip is what got me to even try a liveaboard.
Paul Gauguin Cruise Ship

I also recommend the Cuan Law since it's not your typical 5 dive per day liveaboard. They also offer the Hobie sail boats, water skiing and kayaks plus trips ashore at various islands if that's what you want. They have a very nice last day barbecue picnic on Virgin Gorda at a beautiful site.

For me (and my wife) it would be hard to pass up the diving though to stay aboard with a non-diving spouse. Hope you have a great trip, whatever you decide upon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom