Something between a cruise and a live-aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Does anybody know of anything that's somewhere between a cruise and a live-aboard?

Several of my buddies and me have non-diving spouses (spice? :D).

We currently do cruises in the winter,

Cruises are great for the wives, but time in each port is usually limited to 12 hours or less.

Live-aboards have tons of diving, but not much for the wives.

Does anybody know of any ships or boats that spend a couple of days at and around various Caribbean islands? A few days on Bonaire, a few days on Curacao, and a few days around some of the smaller islands would be great!

Thanks!

Terry

I'd be leary of giving Windjammer any money upfront......if they are even still sailing. They've had some real issues the past year.

We leave for French Polynesia this weekend for a week aboard the Star Flyer. Star Clippers also has the Royal Clipper based in the Caribbean & sails a couple of itineraries out of Barbados. They have there own dive teams aboard & use the ships Zodiacs. The Royal also has a stern platform that makes it very convenient & free use of kayaks,sailboats & windsurfers.

We wanted something a little more intimate than a large cruise ship, but not so intense as a liveaboard....Star Flyer seemed like the perfect compromise.

Mike

I'd be leary of giving Windjammer any money upfront......if they are even still sailing. They've had some real issues the past year.

We leave for French Polynesia this weekend for a week aboard the Star Flyer. Star Clippers also has the Royal Clipper based in the Caribbean & sails a couple of itineraries out of Barbados. They have there own dive teams aboard & use the ships Zodiacs. The Royal also has a stern platform that makes it very convenient & free use of kayaks,sailboats & windsurfers.

We wanted something a little more intimate than a large cruise ship, but not so intense as a liveaboard....Star Flyer seemed like the perfect compromise.

Mike

do you have a website for them? I have never heard of that group of boats but someone we met recently told us about something very similar but he couldn't remember the name of the boat.

www.starclippers.com

The rates are comparable to most liveaboards and they do offer very good early booking discounts. At least in French Polynesia, they overnight at most of the islands and being able to leave straight from the ship to the dive sites frees up some time for other activities....nowhere nere the number of dives as a liveaboard, but a nice compromise.

Mike

check out Windjammer Cruises Tall Ships Sail the Caribbean
I think it is exactly what you are looking for.
read this on Windjammer. I sent it to a friend that had been on them several times (and they did try and give him the hard sell for future stuff.)
Windjammer Barefoot Cruises -- The End of an Empire Part 4

The Cuan Law is sometimes suggested for mixed groups - http://bvidiving.com/

I've also heard Cuan Law recommended although I have not tried it.

You might have a look at Paul Gauguin, a small, luxury cruise ship that operates in French Polynesia from Tahiti. The ship has its own dive shop and dive gear and they conduct dives from their own Zodiac boats directly from the cruise ship. Many exotic ports of call and plenty to do for non-divers.

Does anybody know of anything that's somewhere between a cruise and a live-aboard?

Several of my buddies and me have non-diving spouses (spice? :D).

We currently do cruises in the winter,

Cruises are great for the wives, but time in each port is usually limited to 12 hours or less.

Live-aboards have tons of diving, but not much for the wives.

Does anybody know of any ships or boats that spend a couple of days at and around various Caribbean islands? A few days on Bonaire, a few days on Curacao, and a few days around some of the smaller islands would be great!

Thanks!

Terry
Terry,

This option isn't Caribbean in location, but features some fascinating trips for divers and non-divers alike. The two most frequent orbits are either between Vancouver, BC and Alaska, and off the coast of Mexico. Both have their own special features.

It's clearly a live-aboard, however, at 116' its a large live-aboard. Plus there are ample shore trips (in the northern climes) and other photo-ops (whale-watching), and you can write them and special-request certain things if you have a large enough group signing up for the trip. A truly world-class bunch of folks.

Worth your consideration:

Nautilus Explorer – Scuba Diving Liveaboard and destination adventures.

Best,

Doc

terry, i'm sure you've thought of this, too, but maybe an all-inclusive resort would be a good fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom