Someplace .. SE Asia or India in Nov/Dec 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divezilla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All
I have a fortunate dilemma.
I have a work trip to India and perhaps HK or Manila in late Nov/Early Dec. i will be able to extend it and take some Vacation while i'm over there.
The only 'fixed' date now is my India trip ends in Mumbai on Nov 25/26..
From there I'm currently open .. but I need to visit Hong Kong or perhaps Manila before returning to Canada ..either before or after my dive trip.

I really want to dive SE Asia or India while i'm here.. ... for 5 to 10 days. Prefer liveaboard, budget to middle grade .. with nitrox. I'd have my own gear (yea.. I'd lug it thru India ..)
I've about 300 dives .... am comfortable at depth and in current (love Coz) and have dove Sipadan via Mabul a few years back.
Options seem to be Maldives, Andaman, ????

I'm not picky .. but Looking for great vis, lots of fish .. Would love some large pelagics .. but his is not a pre-req.

The return trip needs to be out of Mumbai, HK, or Manila . .. ie the final closing leg to get me home.
It all comes down to connections and travel ...
Any and all suggestions welcome

TIA

Hi Tia... My recommendation would definitely be the Maldives, especially during this particular time of year. Dec is rainy season in alot of SE Asia so not an optimal time to visit. However the Maldives would probably be a slam dunk, especially if you want good viz and hordes of marine life. While there are over 100 "safari boats" (i.e. liveaboards) operating in the Maldives, you need to make sure that the one you choose has an experienced crew that can deliver the stellar dive experiences that the Maldives are famous for. Many dives are drift and require precise coordination of timing and location of dives for having the best conditions and marine encounters. Two boats that you might consider would be the Manthiri and the M/V Orion. Both have delivered excellent experiences for our divers and have exceptionally experienced and capable crews. If you have any other questions let me know!

I'm not picky .. but Looking for great vis, lots of fish .. Would love some large pelagics .. but his is not a pre-req.

The return trip needs to be out of Mumbai, HK, or Manila . .. ie the final closing leg to get me home.
Philippines has GREAT diving. Anilao, Bohol, Coron(wreck), Dumaguete, Malapascua(thrasher shark), Puerto Galera, Southern Leyte(whaleshark) etc etc.

Have a look at the Philippines Paradise Divers for more informations.

If you want to dive some place that is technically part of India then try the Andaman Islands. Not very expensive and some very nice diving. Otherwise the Maldives is a good option. A good liveaboard should cover you for some pelagic action and excellent drift diving. Both places are nice in their own way. SE Asia has a whole world of diving opportunities but I'm not sure how weather is during that time. But I'm sure some areas will be in season. Maybe you can do some diving in South Asia first and then fit in a few days at least in Philippines as well if you can depart out of Manila.

Hey Canadian fellow, we left Canada a year ago, we dive all over south east asiabut we started in India.
We were in the Andamans and Nicobar islands in november and it was the best dive we made, better than Spadadan, not much sharks, but huge fish school of tuna, jackfish, sweet lips and some sharks once in a while. There is some nice and healthy corals as well. We only have about 100 dive each, but as cold water divers, we had a blast there. it is not very known, so very few divers, it is cheap and you can fly from Mumbay.
The other place that we really likes was Apo Island in the Philippines wich is as most as good as the Andamans but less ''virgin ''bottoms so more people.

Hope this can help

Thanks everyone
I certainly have a lot of good choices !

I'll post back when I get some firm travel plans

---------- Post Merged at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Hi Squid
Who did you dive with in the Andamans ? Was it liveaboard or land based?
thanks

Well ...
Plans changed at work and I'm now visiting Manila, Jakarta, HKong and New Delhi India in Feb.
I'll have time for a 7 to 10 day dive trip near the end of Feb and am looking for suggestions again.

I'm looking for good diving at a good price.
I prefer liveaboards and don't need luxury. I was quite happy on Blackbeards and the MV Spree.
Good diving, 3 to 5 dives a day, wide range of sea life and conditions.
Walls, drifts are all good.
I'd consider resorts too.. prefer resorts close to dive sites and good local reefs for shore diving.

Itinerary is not defined yet, but I'll likely end up at Manila or Jakarta.

So .. How is the diving here in Feb ? :D

Thanks in advance
WS

Itinerary is not defined yet, but I'll likely end up at Manila or Jakarta.

So .. How is the diving here in Feb ? :D
If you can pick, pick Manila. The diving in the PI near Manila in February is excellent, and you can get to great diving from Manila overland. No really good diving from Jakarta without flying, and even so, February isn't the best time of year to dive near there. You could get from Jakarta to Thailand, however, in one short flight, and the Andaman Sea of Thailand is in high season in Feb. In Thailand I'd recommend a liveaboard rather than a land-based resort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom