I'm taking a year off life to travel and dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have decided to stick with Panglao for the Tec course, then either Moalboal or Siquijor+Dauin. The storm damage updates for both aren't too encouraging, but I suppose it's just life for them.
Fact of life in that country.
The wall at Moalboal is pretty deep so you have plenty opportunity to test your new learnt knowledge/skill. But please be careful as a beginner tec diver.

dumpsterpurrs:

From March 2014 - December 2019 I did over 800 dives in Moalboal.

The wall stretches a few kilometers north and south from Panagsama where most of the dive ops are. Some parts of the wall are only around 30m deep whereas other parts are more than 60m depth. You can get some really fast drift dives with the tides along the walls.
Most ops avoid the really fast tides when they can. Sometimes on deep dives you can see eagle rays and sharks. Sharks actually are often cruising along the bottom of the wall just most divers are too close to the wall the see them as in many places the wall bends back inland at depth.

Pescadore Island also has some nice deeper diving and I've done some nice drift dives on the north west side there.

DJI_0013.JPG

DJI_0009.JPG

DJI_0008.JPG

CLOUD FORMATION.jpg

The wall stretches a few kilometers north and south from Panagsama where most of the dive ops are. Some parts of the wall are only around 30m deep whereas other parts are more than 60m depth. You can get some really fast drift dives with the tides along the walls.
Most ops avoid the really fast tides when they can. Sometimes on deep dives you can see eagle rays and sharks. Sharks actually are often cruising along the bottom of the wall just most divers are too close to the wall the see them as in many places the wall bends back inland at depth.
First dived there in mid 90s. And have been back there many times so I do not need any introduction!!!

BTW, where can you hire a tank and go shore dive in PG?

Personally I’d also skip Thailand. I did a livaboard in November 2018 which included R’eu Rock and was massively disappointed. Dont get wrong I love Thailand but the diving was not as I had hoped. Bali is great and I’d recommend Manta Bay or Manta Point (can’t remember the correct name) but it was an hour or so on a trip from Sanur. Oddly enough there were a ton of manta rays … I mean you could not turn your head and not see one.

Also if in the Philippines do go to Malapascua and see the thresher sharks. Loads more to see there (diving wise) as well and I wish I’d had more time there. I also liked the diving from Bohol Amd Puerto Galera. Avoid the whale shark experience near Cebu … yes loads of whale sharks but packed full of tourists with no clue , some can barely swim. NOT enjoyable at all.

May be off your route but Mombasa surprised me with how much I enjoyed the diving. Great viz and quite a lot to see.

Why not Brunei? It has some excellent diving.
Can you share more about your experience in Brunei? It seems little is written about it. Do you mind sharing what company you went with, how the visibility was (I have the impression that even in high season, it can be kind of poor?), the condition of the reefs and wrecks etc.? How does it compare with other places nearby, like Miri or KK (or Tioman). Any other relevant considerations? Never been. But my partner and I are considering it for a short local-ish dive trip.

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom