I'm taking a year off life to travel and dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As wonderful as Thailand is, personally I would probably skip Thailand and go to Southern Leyte instead. I also would not go to Brunei and would spend the time in the Philippines.

But otherwise, wow, what an adventure, enjoy every minute !
Similan is just easier to take my kid, less transfer. Really love diving in Brunei, love the people and the food, and just a direct flight to home, plus I have a few weeks between the Philippines (end of May) and Africa (end of June). Adding Leyte, but where in Leyte? Sogod Bay looks murky.

Galapagos. Wolf and Darwin in the fall. Dont think just do it.
I would love to but really don't want to deal with an in-person visa application.

That's my mecca! Flights in and out of Chuuk are a bit hard to justify at this point, but one day after I'm tech wreck trained!

Will you marry me?
I will if you would give me a stronger passport xD

All the best places in the world, and under $2500/week.......tall order. Unfortunately, a few world-class places drop out: Cocos, Galapagos (liveaboard), Malpelo. Even Socorro is doubtful at under $2500/week. Fiji and French Polynesia, land-based, maybe.

At under $2500/week, you might be able to do Bahamas (Tiger Beach) and Bimini (Great Hammers).

If you push Baja (Mexico) into late April and early May, you might be able to do mobulas and, with a lot of luck, maybe orcas out of La Paz. Otherwise, La Paz and Cabo Pulmo in April is not the most ideal time: I prefer November because it gives you warmer water temps and better viz, and you could also include Magdalena Bay for the Mexican Sardine Run (late October to early December) to see striped marlins and other pelagics. November also has the warmest water temps in Socorro.

You have Tulum with Baja California in April 2023. Makes more sense to do it when you do cenotes and Isla Mujeres in August 2023, unless there is something special about Tulum in April.

To me, Dauin, Anilao and Puerto Galera is a bit of an overlap - ie, you'll be seeing a lot of the same stuff. I would do Malapascua for threshers, and it is also quite good for macro. And I would consider Romblon in lieu of Dauin or PG even tho it is supposed to be a bit of a pain to get to because it is one of the few places where Melibe Colemani and a few other unusual nudibranchs have been reported.
"Lucky" for me most expensive places require an in-person visa application (Cocos, Galapagos, Fiji, French Polynesia), the only one I'm truly having to skip due to cost is Malpelo. Truly lucky for me I live smack in the middle of the Indo-Pacific, so it's super easy to find world-class diving sometimes at $18 all in, usually under $40, and just $10-20 for hotels.

The 2023 plan is just some ideas at this point, it really depends on the rest of my LATAM dry travel. Thanks for the timing suggestions!

I'm swapping Dauin+Siquijor out for Southern Leyte + Coron. Maybe in late April I can start in Panglao, then hop over to Southern Leyte, then take the ferry back to Cebu and fly to Coron, then from Coron take the ferry to Puerto Galera before finishing the Philippines leg in Anilao (Panglao -> Southern Leyte -> Coron -> Puerto Galera -> Anilao) - about 4-5 weeks. How does that sound? Should I skip Panglao too? I've been there already, the diving was pleasant enough.

As wonderful as Thailand is, personally I would probably skip Thailand and go to Southern Leyte instead. I also would not go to Brunei and would spend the time in the Philippines.

But otherwise, wow, what an adventure, enjoy every minute !

Why not Brunei? It has some excellent diving.

We might cross paths in Bali in August. I’ll be on a 3-week trip Bali-Komodo-Bali. Then head up to Sangalaki.

Don't know if someone mentioned it already but the Red Sea is a must as is Malta/Gozo. From Singapore its really easy to get to Sharm I have flown it a couple times. Turkish has a direct flight from SIN to IST then IST to SSH so only 1 stop.

Other must does that I did not see listed are Chuck, Bikini, Palau, Solomon Islands but these might be a little more difficult to get to and cost more.

I'm swapping Dauin+Siquijor out for Southern Leyte + Coron. Maybe in late April I can start in Panglao, then hop over to Southern Leyte, then take the ferry back to Cebu and fly to Coron, then from Coron take the ferry to Puerto Galera before finishing the Philippines leg in Anilao (Panglao -> Southern Leyte -> Coron -> Puerto Galera -> Anilao) - about 4-5 weeks. How does that sound? Should I skip Panglao too? I've been there already, the diving was pleasant enough.
If you have been to Panglao then there is no point to go back(pleasant enough but NOT great).
Replace it with Malapascua. Not easy to link up Anilao, Coron, Malapascua, PG and Sogod Bay.

If you want the best in wreck diving then Truk(Chuuk) is head and shoulder above Coron and you do not need to be tech certified to enjoy those wrecks.

After Sipadan you are better off to nip down to Sangalaki(check the season).
What is the attraction of Green Island(Lyudao)? Diving is very ordinary. Orchid Island is probably more attractive culture wise.

Papua New Guinea should be in your list, very expensive though.
Air Niugini used to serve between Singapore and PNG. Not sure if it still does.

That's one heck of a trip. Good on ya!!

Mt only thought... stretch a bit and dive cold Pacific when you transit through British Columbia. Bucket list stuff there.
Plus 1
You have Tulum with Baja California in April 2023. Makes more sense to do it when you do cenotes and Isla Mujeres in August 2023, unless there is something special about Tulum in April.
Plus 1. Also, while in the Tulum area, you may want to check out Cozumel (a short bus trip and a ferry away) and/or Belize (a longer bus ride)

Would love to see a periodic update of your adventure. Sounds like a great trip.

What is the attraction of Green Island(Lyudao)? Diving is very ordinary.

Diving in Green Island it's so so. I was not impressed on my dive there last year. Not worth coming to Taiwan just for diving there but as there are other attractions a trip could be done. However borders are still closed to tourists for the foreseeable future. Perhaps towards end of year they may allow general tourists. December thru March can dive with hammerheads as they come to breed.

As for Panglao there is some very good diving at both Balicasag Island as well as Djolo which is about 30 mins away. Really good wall and reef dives there. I will be there a couple more times this year for a month or more. Southern Leyte I will probably do in December.

Don't know if someone mentioned it already but the Red Sea is a must as is Malta/Gozo. From Singapore its really easy to get to Sharm I have flown it a couple times. Turkish has a direct flight from SIN to IST then IST to SSH so only 1 stop.

Other must does that I did not see listed are Chuck, Bikini, Palau, Solomon Islands but these might be a little more difficult to get to and cost more.
100% will dive the Red Sea and Malta/Gozo as well as Chuuk and Palau. Saving the first two for when/if we move to Europe, the latter two for cheaper flights. Solomon is no go bc of visa. Photos of Malta and Chuuk look more appealing than Bikini so I'll prioritize those two after this year.

Diving in Green Island it's so so. I was not impressed on my dive there last year. Not worth coming to Taiwan just for diving there but as there are other attractions a trip could be done. However borders are still closed to tourists for the foreseeable future. Perhaps towards end of year they may allow general tourists. December thru March can dive with hammerheads as they come to breed.

As for Panglao there is some very good diving at both Balicasag Island as well as Djolo which is about 30 mins away. Really good wall and reef dives there. I will be there a couple more times this year for a month or more. Southern Leyte I will probably do in December.
If you have been to Panglao then there is no point to go back(pleasant enough but NOT great).
Replace it with Malapascua. Not easy to link up Anilao, Coron, Malapascua, PG and Sogod Bay.

If you want the best in wreck diving then Truk(Chuuk) is head and shoulder above Coron and you do not need to be tech certified to enjoy those wrecks.

After Sipadan you are better off to nip down to Sangalaki(check the season).
What is the attraction of Green Island(Lyudao)? Diving is very ordinary. Orchid Island is probably more attractive culture wise.

Papua New Guinea should be in your list, very expensive though.
Air Niugini used to serve between Singapore and PNG. Not sure if it still does.
I was planning to do Tec Sidemount and Deco Proc with Rick at Frontier in Panglao. His shop in PG hasn't reopened. But I guess I can also take the course with Gunter in Coron or someone else in PG. Panglao has an airport which makes it convenient though.
I think I can fly into TAC for Padre Burgos first, then take the ferry to CEB to fly over to Coron, then PG and Anilao. The threshers look adorably hilarious, but I'm firmly a colorful coral reef kind of girl.

Best way to include Sangalaki is to head to Manado right after. So we'll have to do it around end of Nov. Which is good for Sipadan, so hopefully also good for Sangalaki.

We don't have to dive in Green Island. But first thing Taiwan reopens, I'm taking my kid and grandma there. My two college best friends haven't been and want to go too, and one of them is my dive buddy on this big trip. There is the most beautiful hot spring in the world on Green Island and tbh I'm only diving its frigid water (for my standard) as an excuse to spend the entire evening in all the different pools of the hot spring. Hoping to explore Orchid Island this time, maybe also checking out Taitung, otherwise just returning to Taipei, Keelung, and Taroko Gorge I think. Not extremely keen on the Westcoast cities.

Cozumel (a short bus trip and a ferry away) and/or Belize (a longer bus ride)
People here told me they aren't quite as good as Southeast Asia. I shockingly can go to Belize now. The Belize visa used to cost me like $180 or something like that.
(I know Isla Mujeres is prob not any better and I wouldn't go to Isla Mujeres if I didn't have to make sure my kid gets some dives every few months)

That's the people I've wanted to dive with for years!

Isla Mujeres is super easy diving. Shallow, no current. Good reef. Topside life can get a little hectic with the drinking scene. Coz has amazing pinnacle formations, walls, and good drift diving. Topside is more chill and family oriented. Get an airbnb and chill for a bit. Easy to jump into Tulum from there, too. In Tulum, get a house off the main drag and enjoy the jungle life. That area is mos def worth a spot and if you need any daycare for your little one on Isla, let me know.

Back
Top Bottom