I'm taking a year off life to travel and dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sangalaki is far better than Sipadan.
Getting there is half the fun!
Not sure if non Malay or Indonesian can travel on this route.

Expensive and quite a distance to cover.
A lot less divers around because 4 different islands are involved.

I'll be in Bali in late Aug too haha, hoping for better luck with the molas. We got certified there in 2018 and did see one at Crystal bay on dive #6 (temp went down to 22C, I'll be bringing my 7mm), but we were too new and trying not to get sucked into the down current to enjoy it. Bali was also super crowded, especially Tulamben and Liberty wreck, so I'm going to skip that this time and focus on Gili Mimpang, Tepekong, and maybe some macro dives around Padang Bai. We only have 3 days (for the mandatory 3 night stay in CSHE hotel) before hopping on the Mermaid for our Komodo liveaboard.
Good plan 👍. I’ll be in Bali for 3 days of diving in mid July before sailing on to Komodo for 2 weeks with MY Agnes. Then heading out to Sangalaki with White Manta in August (Trip code WMSG229, White Manta Diving - Schedules & Rates for New White Manta)

I have been on Mermaid1 going from Bali to Komodo & back to Bali in August 2015. It’s one of the best liveaboard trip I have ever been on.

There's a book by National Geographic that was published in 2019 called "100 Dives of a Lifetime". You might get some ideas from there.

Taking a year off work and being able to finance those trips at a comfortable price point is mutually exclusive for me lol. (out of curiosity are you retired?)
I am retired. Never thought I'd do something like this, but the pandemic, as well as my health sharply declining over the last couple of years together with directly experiencing the effects of climate change, has convinced me it's the right thing to do and there's no better time than right now.

Our plans this year might actually coincide quite a bit!

2. I'll be in Anilao/PG in early May for 10 days. It's my second visit to Anilao and first to PG. I LOVED Anilao for macro photography, but my husband got quite bored our first trip, so depends on what you like.
My current plan is to get to Anilao in early May, after the May Day weekend. then stay in Anilao and PG for approx 10 days as well haha. would be extra lovely to bump into you. I'm planning to take the AN/DP and Tech sidemount course in PG as well.

If they ever start the Johor Bahru to Tawau direct flight again I might go back.
All hail AirAsia! It's back!

8. Haven't dived Green Island, but omg you have to visit Taiwan if only for the food. Night markets are amazing. It's an easy weekend trip, can't wait to go back when they reopen.
IKR!!! Hopefully in October, perfect weather.

9. Can't say much about Bangka/Lembeh, Raja, or Komodo, since I have those planned for next year, this Dec, and this Aug respectively. Are you only doing Komodo south not north? Raja we're doing 1 week land based (Papua Explorers) and 1 week liveaboard to the south, the water bungalows look quite lovely.
After Taiwan in mid Oct, I'll spend a month in Borneo (lahad datu, sipadan, sangalaki) then fly over to Bangka and Lembeh, before hitting R4, Ambon, then Komodo. Which makes Komodo falling around end of Dec, best time for the South I guess. I'm planning to do exactly the same as you in R4, just haven't looked into which dive ops.

10. Forget about the Galapagos. You'll get 25C at Wolf/Darwin if you're lucky, but everywhere else it's super cold like 16C or below. ..
The only place not on your list that we've REALLY loved is French Polynesia
I'm "glad" that Galapagos is out the the question because Ecuador doesn't like my passport. And neither does French Polynesia, sadly. I really want to go to Vanuatu too but ugh visa.

@jjmochi I can't wait to go back to your amazing country! I'm flying into KLIA2 first thing in the morning on April 1, the day Malaysia reopens :)

What an amazing thread; it's giving me loads of ideas. The only thing i can add is that if you are doing Red Sea then also consider Sudan liveboard. Sudan offers sharks (including hammerhead encounters) and wrecks galore

Departing for my second pre-trip trip to Nha Trang tonight to test the new Garmin with my local dive club. Then June 1, I'll be off to the Philippines and Borneo for my first leg of this now two-year-long thing (my plan keeps ballooning like escaping bubbles!)

June 1-9: Panglao - TDI Tec Sidemount and Deco Procedure course or Siquijor & Dauin - RAID Sidemount + Tec trimix 40 - which one should I go for? The RAID option costs a bit more - maybe about 20% more with helium cost. I don't think I'll dive helium though.
June 10-14: Kuala Belud - meet up with my dive buddy for Borneo
June 15-20: Sipadan @ the Rig

After that, we'll meet up with my buddy's husband and another friend from college for two weeks around Borneo: Kinabatangan - Sepilok - Mt Kinabalu Park - Mulu Caves - Kuching

Flooded my camera on the last trip. Thinking of getting the Nikon KeyMission 170.
Also decided to go for the Teric with a cheaper transmitter. Should I buy now or wait til August? Wondering if there'd be any end of summer sale. Which transmitter should I get?

Have decided to stick with Panglao for the Tec course, then either Moalboal or Siquijor+Dauin. The storm damage updates for both aren't too encouraging, but I suppose it's just life for them.

My current plan is to get to Anilao in early May, after the May Day weekend. then stay in Anilao and PG for approx 10 days as well haha. would be extra lovely to bump into you. I'm planning to take the AN/DP and Tech sidemount course in PG as well.

Are you planning on take those as combined courses? I was thinking of doing sidemount then doing 15 dives then the AN DP. However I think I will stick with back doubles and not do the sidemount. Doing my AN DP course in Cebu later this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom