Some type of night coral? Please ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weaponeer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Came across this on a night dive at Roatan. I've never seen it before anywhere in the Caribbean. I've searched ID databases but have come up empty. Can anyone explain this and give an ID?

Attachments

• Roatan_09212010_241c.jpg
    Roatan_09212010_241c.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 76
Thank you so much for identifying it. I don't do much night diving so it was new to me. Cousin to starfish and urchins, very interesting.

I love basket stars. If you have a bright light you can draw worms in and watch it feed. I've done that with a few corals at night and it's pretty cool.

I love basket stars. If you have a bright light you can draw worms in and watch it feed. I've done that with a few corals at night and it's pretty cool.
Hmmm... the only thing I've seen a basket star do in response to a bright light is close back up into it's daytime ball. But I reckon it might whack a worm on the way...
I have a video somewhere... if I can find it I'll post it.
Rick

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom