Coral Eye, Bangka - plastic rubbish and dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldbiker

New
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
this is my first post on scubaboard. I'm a native Italian diver and I hope to make my messages understandable. Sorry for my broken English.
I'm thinking of a trip to Coral Eye, Bangka - Indonesia next November. I have some doubts due to plastic pollution and the type of dives you can make in that area.
Four years ago I've been to Ongong resort - which is not very far away from Coral Eye - and I was really upset for the incredible amount of plastic rubbish both on the shores and in the sea. We helped collecting the rubbish but it's like emptying the sea with a spoon. Never seen such a thing before.
Dives wise, I've not been very impressed with the overall quality. Not very rich underwater life, mainly critters and small fish/animals. Generally, I prefer the "big stuff" (sharks, etc.). And also the water was not very clear.
So, am I going to find the same situation in Coral Eye, too?
Thanks.

Hi @oldbiker

First of all, welcome to SB, second, I'm going to move this post to the Indonesia Forum, where you might bet some more attention from divers who have been to this specific spot.

I've dived Bangka and North Sulawesi quite a few times with Murex, and personally I don't go there to see big stuff as I'm mainly a macro fan, although the corals around there are pretty good for wide angle shots.

I believe if you want to see big stuff you'd be better off diving around Manado in Bunaken National Park.

As for the plastic, well I didn't notice too much at the Murex Resort, but some places around there tend to be "plastic traps" depending on the landscape / inlets, so it can vary from place to place.

As for the vis, I've not had issues in April or July, 20m+, never been in that area in November.

I believe if you want to see big stuff you'd be better off diving around Manado in Bunaken National Park.
I believe the OP was talking about Onong resort which is located on Siladen, hence diving the Bunaken area.
I don't think then it's a good idea.

In a general way North Sulawesi is not well known for big stuff. That said Bangka area is superior in terms of coral and fish life than Bunaken, and not prone to rubbish "waves" like there are frequently on Bunaken area which is just in front of Manado city.

Hello everybody,
this is my first post on scubaboard. I'm a native Italian diver and I hope to make my messages understandable. Sorry for my broken English.
I'm thinking of a trip to Coral Eye, Bangka - Indonesia next November. I have some doubts due to plastic pollution and the type of dives you can make in that area.
Four years ago I've been to Ongong resort - which is not very far away from Coral Eye - and I was really upset for the incredible amount of plastic rubbish both on the shores and in the sea. We helped collecting the rubbish but it's like emptying the sea with a spoon. Never seen such a thing before.
Dives wise, I've not been very impressed with the overall quality. Not very rich underwater life, mainly critters and small fish/animals. Generally, I prefer the "big stuff" (sharks, etc.). And also the water was not very clear.
So, am I going to find the same situation in Coral Eye, too?
Thanks.

Onong in my eyes is faraway from bangka… onong is on siladen island…
Plastic pollution is a big problem in North Sulawesi… a little worse in bunaken because manado… or lembeh because bitung.. but bangka is in the middle.. depends on winds, currents.. generally I find more plastic in bunaken and more rubbish in lembeh..
In bangka at coraleye some years ago they have started a program for collecting and recycling ocean plastic.. many other resorts join.. No-Trash Triangle Initiative

Now the diving.. not very rich? Corals are top notch, around bangka there’s a wide biodiversity, colors.. it’s simply beautiful.. but if you are interested only in big stuff don’t go to North Sulawesi and mostly Indonesia.. it is the wrong place.. 😅😉

Ps:il titolo suona proprio male… 😉

@oldbiker

As others have said, the region you are looking at is not a "big animal" destination. Northern Sulawesi is known for beautiful walls (Bunaken), small, interesting critters (Lembeh), and a good combination (Bangka). Having said this, Bangka does provide the rare opportunity to see dugongs - we've seen two there while diving (although fairly rare).

If you really want to dive with big stuff (schools of fish, mantas, sharks, etc.) there are few places to dive in Indonesia with better chances to see them. For example, mantas are more prevalent in Sangalaki or Raja Ampat (or Komodo), hammerheads can be seen in Alor (during the right time of year).

Having said this, if you really want to focus on diving with large animals you should consider other destinations, like Galapagos, Cocos Island, French Polynesia, or Socorro.

I've been to Bangka 3 times. There is a lot of plastic junk on the beach and on the surface crossing from the mainland, but remarkably little underwater. Not much in the way of large animals, but fantastic reefs and reef fish. Visibility is variable depending on rainfall and tides, but generally pretty darned good.

Thanks everybody for the great inputs you gave me. As a result, I'll probably consider different destination(s) for my next trip.
Sorry for the late reply: I've just got back home from an area in the mountains where internet connection is unreliable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom