Some thoughts about diving alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solo diving or diving with much separation is inherent with UW photography and hunting. It is from what I witness accomplished by very experienced divers who readily know and accept the risks. I could be wrong, but I doubt the issue will be dwelled upon by his family or co-workers...

I think this is one of the "social" aspect questions any diver considering solo needs to deal with. There are a lot of technical considerations that should enter into going it alone but the social considerations can be much more difficult to resolve. I know in my case the social side was more difficult to resolve and that allowed me time to really consider the technical piece.

Everyone needs to make a personal decision and set limits. Despite these tragic events there are plenty of parallels in other pursuits where making an alternate choice may keep somebody from perishing.

Pete

Saying that not knowing what happened to someone would not be dwelt upon by family or friends? ... sure they would, especially compared to knowing that his buddy was right there and offered all and any assistance needed, even if it was to no avail
and .. knowing what events led up to someones death would help others to avoid the same thing ... look at the Accidents And Incidence thread here on SB

Solo divers do so because they understand the risks and consequences of diving solo, they do what they can to mitigate those risks, they are also experienced divers that know themselves and how they react to stress ... not everyone is cut out to be a solo diver, no mater how many dives they have
Maybe a discussion with loved ones about what they do and how they do it would also be good idea

I dive alone often. My wife of 36 years and I have talked about it and we've come to the understanding that the most important thing she can know in the event of my demise while diving, alone or not is that I died doing what I love. The how or why is not relevent to her as there is nothing she could do or have done, and I'd be past caring.
Better than wasting away in a nursing home being beaten daily by the non-english speaking staff.

Whatever the trigger to dive solo or same day same ocean, it is decision made by the diver , not by commitee. This has been hotly debated add nauseam in the solo diver forum and it makes for an interesting read. Despite what people may think we are not a bunch of "ricky rambo thrill seakers" we all do it for different reasons, mine are philosophical, others are not.
Death is a part of living and a death is allways harder on the living then the deceased. The lust to know what happened is a curiosity that is driven by the living. Death is somber moment for the living, especially when it is someone well loved and respected by the diving community.
Condolences to his family and all those close to him.
Eric

I'm not trying to argue whether solo diving is good or bad. I was just struck with how angry I felt about Wes's death, and thought immediately about Kawika, and then I got to thinking about how I'd feel if he were family. Or if Peter was found, dead, on the bottom of a local dive site on a dive that should have been benign. At least, if he were diving with a friend, I'd have a story of some kind.

At least, if he were diving with a friend, I'd have a story of some kind.

That's a luxury item to be indulged in, or not, depending on how anthropocentric you are. I could be wrong, but that's my story.

That's a luxury item to be indulged in, or not, depending on how anthropocentric you are. I could be wrong, but that's my story.

Like a lot of people I'm pretty anthropocentric and like to get the story of what happened.

Like a lot of people I'm pretty anthropocentric and like to get the story of what happened.

Does it make you feel any better?

Back
Top Bottom