Some pictures of Molasses reef 5-27-12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We first tried a reef in Islamorada. Green and a current. Went to Mo, no current,foot of seas 80 degree water and 70feet viz of blue water.
The only issue today was Capt Budweisers driving their boats. A few times we were buzzed by boats going full speed on the reef.:angrymob:

Plenty of schooling fish, 2 nurse sharks and a turtle were seen.

The Mrs and I took the pix below. Strobe was working on/off brrrr and we shot a few with a p/s. Did the best we could considering.

P5260051_3579_edited-1.jpg

P5260042_3570_edited-1.jpg

P1014369_3516_edited-1.jpg

P1014360_3508_edited-1.jpg

P1014358_3506_edited-1.jpg

P1014356_3504_edited-1.jpg

P1014347_3495_edited-1.jpg

Yeah, it was great out there today:cool3:

Love the blenny shot!

Thnx TSandM

DT, what a difference a day makes! yesterday, reports from you and others(including scotty from FWC) were blue water 70-100FT+ viz, minimal current. timg and i headed out@ 0900Z this AM to MO and you guessed it, green/brownish water, viz 20-25FT(that might be generous) and a mdt+ current on all the shallow and deep buoys. blue water nowhere! we spoke to a flkeys capt along with FWC(scotty and partner) and they said no blue water reported anywhere in the upper keys this morning! we bagged it and decided to try again later this week. love to have a live CAM @ molasses and other reporting stations along the reef tract!!!!!

reefman
key largo

Great photos. Dove Molasses Reef back in the mid 1970's. Still looks great!

Showed my wife the wonderful photos of Molasses Reef to try and bring back memories of a good dive.

She replied, "Oh, that was where I got sick and vomited through my regulator, then lost my fin and had to be dragged from the water by our friend on the boat." I , of course had forgotten that part of our experience at Molasses Reef.

Last edited:
Thnkx ivakdiver,rm i am surprised about the viz davis area reported 80 feet and fkdc said 100 ft on duane and 50 benwood

Thnkx ivakdiver,rm i am surprised about the viz davis area reported 80 feet and fkdc said 100 ft on duane and 50 benwood

maybe yesterday on the duane and benwood, we pulled up next to the FKDC boat and talked to the captain this morning while moored to the winchole and he said viz was crappy everywhere. we didnt observe any commercial boats on the duane or bibb @0930 and the water appeared green out there as well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

maybe yesterday on the duane and benwood, we pulled up next to the FKDC boat and talked to the captain this morning while moored to the winchole and he said viz was crappy everywhere. we didnt observe any commercial boats on the duane or bibb @0930 and the water appeared green out there as well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

I listened to the 1010 report maybe it was old?
My boat will now be dry docked at Snake Creek marina.
It is about 5 miles south of where I am now. I guess I will be regular at Alligator

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom