Some LOBs require a minimum # of logged dives, but I don't have a log book!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never heard of this. They may ask on some form, but I've never seen a requirement to meet a minimum.
Which liveaboard was this?

Sorry, I've been online a LOT in the last few days reading & researching different locations, diff. liveaboards, etc., so I can't recall specifically which LOBs (plural, because it was def. more than one or two) stated that divers were required to have a min. # of logged dives. It was most likely LOB based out of the Red Sea or perhaps Komodo, as those are the two places I've spent the most time reading about.

Regardless, I wasn't overly-worried about this before, but I thought it was worth asking others about, and now I'm even less concerned. That said, if I booked a trip on a LOB who's literature stated that they required a min. # of logged dives, as Scubadada suggested, I'd be sure to address the issue and make certain it wasn't going to be a problem before making payment.

Hi @GR8FUL

You can be AOW/nitrox with 9 training dives :) Ha! Did not know that! Cannot imagine someone holding those certs with only 9 dives, but then again a lot of things surprise me these days...

Where are you in Florida? I do quite a bit of my diving in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and West Palm

Central Florida--Ocala / The Villages area. Jupiter is actually on my radar. I just want to get wet, and Jupiter looks like it's the closest / best diving near me, and there are a # of fairly inexpensive airbnbs in the area.

Sorry, I've been online a LOT in the last few days reading & researching different locations, diff. liveaboards, etc., so I can't recall specifically which LOBs (plural, because it was def. more than one or two) stated that divers were required to have a min. # of logged dives. It was most likely LOB based out of the Red Sea or perhaps Komodo, as those are the two places I've spent the most time reading about.

Regardless, I wasn't overly-worried about this before, but I thought it was worth asking others about, and now I'm even less concerned. That said, if I booked a trip on a LOB who's literature stated that they required a min. # of logged dives, as Scubadada suggested, I'd be sure to address the issue and make certain it wasn't going to be a problem before making payment.
OK, thanks. I'm taking a group to the Red Sea next year, so if you think of which boat it was, let us know! I may need to give people some heads-ups.

Sure, they may state on their web sites that they require a minimum number of logged dives, but I would bet that is simply to cover their butts, and they will not ask prospective clients to prove how many dives they have done.

I can see their point of view. It's their way of emphasizing that the itinerary their boat offers is best booked by more experienced divers. Maybe it deters some inexperienced divers who SHOULD think twice before booking that kind of trip.

Oh just go have fun. Bring your C-Cards that will prove experience and I am sure they will be satisfied by that. I've not had a LOB ask me for my number of dives. They may be just trying to cover their butts, liability, etc.

I, personally, log most of my dives, dives that I consider real dives. Setting a float for class is not a dive in my book. I just really enjoy logging every dive because I can then go back and relive the moment. Who I dove with, what I saw, how were the conditions. It's a personal diary of adventure and exploration. It's the same for all of my flights in my logbook, especially when I am doing aerobatics. My flight logbooks go back 30 years. It's fun to read them just like it's fun to read my dive logs.

Central Florida--Ocala / The Villages area. Jupiter is actually on my radar. I just want to get wet, and Jupiter looks like it's the closest / best diving near me, and there are a # of fairly inexpensive airbnbs in the area.
That's a pretty good drive, but worth it for a few days of diving. Goliath Grouper aggregation is coming up :) I pretty frequently dive with groups from Orlando, even Jacksonville

I was in NC in Beaufort and they didn't ask for the log book however, they did ask when was the last time you did a deep dive. There was a couple there that were only recently AOW and they were not permitted to do the deep dive because the dives were not guided and did not have DMs. The couple actually handled it well. But I have never shown my log to anyone but friends.

OK, thanks. I'm taking a group to the Red Sea next year, so if you think of which boat it was, let us know! I may need to give people some heads-ups.

I believe Blue O2 and Tornado Fleet state minimum level and experience requirements for itineraries which include The Brothers from Marsa Alam. Whether this is enforced or not, I couldn't say.

I've never been asked to provide a "log book" but if I did mine would have the 4 checkout dives from 1981 and one from a decade ago for a shop that asked me to have dives I'd done on the island so they could waive their checkout dive requirement.

I use diverecord.com and print out a summary of all my dives which I bring with me but I've never been asked to show it either.

I have noticed the DM on a LOB paying some attention while everyone is setting up their gear but we must have passed since we did our first dive off the boat by ourselves. Later that week I was soloing and I don't have the card or the backup gear - I think they assume LOB divers tend to have more experience.

Diving Mike Ball in December. They have the following on their website. I am AOW and have plenty of dives. I don't keep a log book. I don't anticipate a problem. But, I do meet their requirements. I think it is really about YOUR comfort level and setting stage for what is expected. It is your body and your life.... Dive safely and within your abilities.

Mike Ball's Website blurb...
Divers who have completed less than 15 dives, less than 5 ocean dives or less than 5 dives in the last 12 months are required to complete a complimentary onboard orientation dive. In addition, divers over 65 years old, who have completed less than 50 dives are required to complete the complimentary onboard orientation dive.

If you have not dived in the last 5 years we recommend you complete a Refresher Course to maximize your comfort, enjoyment and the number of dives that may be undertaken with us. ProDive Cairns can complete a private 2 hour PADI Refresher Course (AUD$159) before your expedition. This will need to be booked in advance.

If you have not dived in the last 10 years you will need to be either re-certified, or complete a Refresher Course and show proof of two logged ocean dives to dive with us. If this requirement cannot be met prior to travel we provide one Discover Scuba Dive per day with a depth limit of 12 metres. Additional Discover Scuba Dives will be dependent upon staff availability and will be charged at $50 per dive.

Exemptions for both of the above exist for divers with more than 200 dives or if Dive Master certified or higher.

Back
Top Bottom