Some last minute help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Are there any sealife dealers anywhere in Oahu that carry either the dc1200 or mini II in stock and possibly a strobe? I've had some troubles with my LDS obtaining one.

Also being from Kentucky and land locked to where I only dive in places boats aren't allowed, I have never used a reel and dive flag before... :idk:
Can someone give me a brief description of where I can get one and what to do (some tips and tricks) do you inflate it before you go out or when you get there, do you swim with the reel in hand and kind of drag the dive flag or tie the reel to something?

I do apologize ahead of time for asking such stupid questions. I am visiting family that uses them often but incase i'm unable to visit them before I go diving, I don't want to be the tourist group that every local there decides to beat up for doing everything wrong :D

Not sure about sea life, but several shops have intova stuff.

I never dive with a flag, but you'll need a spool or just a piece of line, depending on the dive. Only time I see people use them are with boats and people doing classes.

Also being from Kentucky and land locked to where I only dive in places boats aren't allowed, I have never used a reel and dive flag before... :idk:
Can someone give me a brief description of where I can get one and what to do (some tips and tricks) do you inflate it before you go out or when you get there, do you swim with the reel in hand and kind of drag the dive flag or tie the reel to something?

Hawaii State Law requires a dive flag when making any dive.

Any dive shop that is "legit" has flags for rent. If you plan to make unguided shore dives in Hawaii, most beginning divers that were not certified in Hawaii will have a better handle on Hawaii shore diving by doing at least a few guided dives first, where the guide is responsible for the flag (among other things).

(a) A "diver's flag" as defined by rule and measuring not less than twelve inches by twelve inches shall be required to be displayed on the surface of the water by any person or group of persons engaged in free diving or SCUBA diving.

(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), a diver's flag measuring not less than twelve inches by twelve inches, shall be displayed on the highest point of the main structure of a non-motorized vessel that is sixteen feet or less in length overall in order to provide unobstructed view of the diver's flag from all directions when diving from the vessel.

(c) Notwithstanding subsection (a), in addition to the "Alpha flag" required by the United States Coast Guard, i.e., a blue flag with a white horizontal strip running from the upper left side to the lower left side, a diver's flag measuring not less than twenty inches by twenty-four inches, shall be displayed on the highest point of the main structure of any motorized or non-motorized vessel that is greater than sixteen feet in length overall in order to provide unobstructed view of the diver's flag from all directions when diving from the vessel.

(d) No person shall engage in free diving or SCUBA diving, or display a diver's flag, in a manner that shall unreasonably or unnecessarily interfere with vessels or with free and proper navigation of the waterways of the State.

(e) Except in cases of emergencies, free diving, swimming, or SCUBA diving within navigation channels shall be prohibited.

[...]

(h) The diver's flag shall be displayed only when free diving or SCUBA diving is in progress, and its display in a water area when no diving is in progress in that area shall constitute a violation of these rules.

(i) There shall be no subsurface distance restrictions from a dive flag, however, except in cases of emergencies, free divers or SCUBA divers shall be prohibited from surfacing more than one hundred feet away from the diver's flag in the ocean waters of the State and fifty feet in navigable streams.

(j) Authorized representatives of the department and life saving personnel are exempt from the distance restrictions of subsection (f) when performing functions related to their duties.

(k) Anyone violating any provision of this section shall be subject to fines and penalties as provided in sections 200-14, 200-14.5, and 200-25, HRS. [Eff 2/24/94 am July 5, 2003] (Auth: HRS §§200-2, 200-3, 200-4, 200-10, 200-14, 200-14.5, 200-24, 200-25) (Imp: HRS §§200-2, 200-3, 200-4, 200-10, 200-14, 200-14.5, 200-24, 200-25)

"Hawaii State Law requires a dive flag when making any dive"

except when diving inside Hanauma Bay, although some might argue that it is still a good idea.

Ok awesome guys, that solves my dive flag question. I've never used intova are they any good? Does anyone else maybe have some info regarding sealife or any other camera brands sold locally?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom