Some general questions about Oceanic regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Switzly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy my first scuba gear in this month. Here in Switzerland, Oceanic is not well-known, but I have read many good reviews, and besides that, the styling of the Delta 4 ist just awesome. For those reasons, Oceanic is a potential choice for me.

(1) One argument against Oceanic was that they would be "too exotic", which could cause problems, should I have to get it repaired abroad. These people say that if I had a Mares, Apeks or Scubapro, there would be no problem finding someone who can fix it, different from Oceanic. The question is now, are there really so few Oceanic service centers spread over the world (especially around the Mediterranean Sea)?

(2) A second argument (that I almost can't hear anymore) is that Apeks would be better than anything else, and that if you don't buy an Apeks today, you would regret your buy tomorrow. Now is there really such a big difference between Apeks and Oceanic?

(3) A third thing is the price. The set including FDX10, Alpha8 and Delta4 is unbeatable for its quality, that's a fact. For safety reasons, it is recommended to dive with two separate first stages in cold water. When I saw the price of a single FDX10, I was shocked: It's twice as much as a Mares or Apeks, and there is nearly nothing equally expensive. How come?

Now, I'm looking forward to your comments...

My wife (Alpha 8, PX3 with DVT) and I (GT3, CDX5 with DVT) both dive Oceanic Regs and love them...with regards to your service concern all I can add is that my wife's 1st stage was making a wierd noise...so I wrote to Oceanic's Service Dept. got a Return Authorization sent the reg and in four days a brand new one arrived. Their communication and service was exceptional all the way around.
Just my 2 cents...hope this helps.

I'm sure Oceanic makes great regs but if you can get Apeks at a much lower price (and with easier access to technician/spare parts in your area), go for the Apeks - you won't regret it.

I dive with Oceanic regs as well as two other brands. I have used Apeks regs. They all work just fine. I have never seen anything to even suggest that one was safer than any other. I originally bought mine based on a need for cold water capability, price and availability of service.

So, I'd let price and service availability drive which regulator to select.

Have fun

I dive the Oceanic Delta, had it about a year now and works great!!! Nothing negative to say about it. Well worth the money.

I think like with any manufacturer, there will always be some form of an issue with service as far as who is certified. Check your local shops if this is a concern and find out what they service. You might have on ethat only services Scubapro and one that will do only Mares. Otherwise, many shops such as Divers Supply have people send their regulators to them (in Georgia) even from say Australia to have them serviced. Sending your regulators out for service really isnt that big of a deal or problem many times. The best thing to do is find what you like in a regulator. Oceanic is a great manufacturer of regulators. That goes for their entire line from the alpha 8 up to the delta 4. Choose a reg that you feel comfortable with and if that means going with something that is serviced in your local area then that would be your best option. If you don't mind sending your regulator out for service then go with that you like. Personnally I don't see oceanic as being "too exotic"...

Thank you all for your opinions.

@ Loops: There is one Oceanic dealer in my area (about 2km from my home), and he said that he also does the service for these regulators. My concern was more about being abroad and having to get something fixed. Of course I hope that nothing has ever to be fixed, but you'll never know... A friend of mine suggested for exactly that reason only to chose the "big brands" such as Scubapro, Mares and Apeks/Aqualung: If you were on vacation in let's say Timbuktu, there would be a bigger chance that your divebase is able to fix a well-known regulator. Oceanic is surely not exotic in the US, but is it in the rest of the world, mainly Mediterranean and Red Sea...?

Switzly:
Thank you all for your opinions.

@ Loops: There is one Oceanic dealer in my area (about 2km from my home), and he said that he also does the service for these regulators. My concern was more about being abroad and having to get something fixed. Of course I hope that nothing has ever to be fixed, but you'll never know... A friend of mine suggested for exactly that reason only to chose the "big brands" such as Scubapro, Mares and Apeks/Aqualung: If you were on vacation in let's say Timbuktu, there would be a bigger chance that your divebase is able to fix a well-known regulator. Oceanic is surely not exotic in the US, but is it in the rest of the world, mainly Mediterranean and Red Sea...?

Put your mind at rest. Regulators are very reliable so your chances of needing service while traveling are very slim. If it can't be repaired I've never heard of a dive operation that caters to tourists not having a few rental regulators just to cover problems. Maybe they will even let you use them free.

So, to me, it is the routine service availability and cost combined with purchase price that drives the decision.

I use two DIN FDX-10's and Delta 4 second stages for my doubles setup and I love these regs. I also dive in cold water throughout the year in the NorthEast US and the Delta 4/FDX-10 works flawlessly. I have tried Apeks regs out, and have also tried ScubaPro's and even Atomics, and I own regs from Dive Rite and other manufacturers... and I still chose the Delta 4/FDX-10 over all of these. I just love the way this reg performs and breathes. Don't listen to anyone that tells you to choose Apeks or another brand, just because that's what "EVERYONE" uses. They obviously haven't tried this regulator and don't know what it's all about. Use the availability of service and ease of attainment as your determining factor. If it's MUCH cheaper and easier to get an Apeks or Scubapro in Switzerland, and also easier to get service for them, then the choice should be simple...All the manufacturers I mentioned make great regs... don't get me wrong... but I just absolutely love my Delta 4/FDX-10's!!! If the cost and attainment of service is comparable to the others, then don't doubt the purchase of the Oceanic... You'll be very happy with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom