Some divers don't like river and lake dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laredo Scuba Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just wanted to comment on lake and river diving. I enjoy diving lakes and rivers, even If there is not much to see compared to an ocean dive. I have heard many divers tell me that lake and river dives are boring. I always respond to them and say "to each his own". All divers have their own prefered diving locations and I respect that. When I dive a lake or river, I like to look at the interesting underwater plant and fish life and I usually take some crushed crackers or some mashed wieners and feed the fish. I noticed, when you feed the fish at Comal River, they will follow you all around the river. I guess they are use to having divers feed them? Anyway, I love any kind of diving, except zero vis diving. I will leave that for the technical divers from the law enforcement and fire department dive teams.

Rene,
Happy Diving! :):D:cool2:

I do PREFER sea diving. However, quarries are nearer home and the nearest sea dive site has normally bad visibility and frecuent cancellations due to bad sea conditions. I've never dived a river. There is no divable river near home.
If there is time, money and buddy available to dive a quarry, there we go. I also do PREFER to dive a quarry than staying at home !!!!

If I didnt dive lakes and rivers I couldnt dive every week. its just a bonus when I get to dive west palm or cozumel.

We did a dive in a river with salmon that was way cool! Nothing like having hundreds of salmon swimming around and over you with some upwards of 40 lbs.

Lakes in our area have bad vis, many hazards like fishing line, and generally not much to see with muddy bottoms. Lake Tahoe has good vis with rocks everywhere and not much to see either. Lots of crawdads, and sometimes bait fish. I did get to watch a kokanee slamming thru a bait ball right in front of me once.

Around here the ocean is where it is at! Our reefs are full of life. Plus we have whales, dolphins, otters, seals, and sea lions. Also the occasional shark, like the 20 foot basking shark we saw earlier this year, or the leopard shark we saw a couple weeks ago.

It's all good! I prefer 100+ vis in blue salt water but I don't get it very often so lake and river diving it is and I don't usually thumb a dive because of vis, even near zero.

I prefer caves and springs, but I've been known to dive in just about any water filled hole.

There's no such thing as a bad dive. Cold, dark, zero viz, lakes, quarries, rivers, yes even the crystal clear oceans if I have to. If you're breathing underwater, its a good day and a good dive. If there's no fish to watch then look at the rocks. If you can't see the rocks, then look at your bubbles. If you can't see your bubbles - perfecft time for those drills. Being wet an neutral is enough.

"shudder" Fresh water ain't natural. And there are sticks in freshwater. Been there and done that. Never again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom