Solo with no BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And you said you weren't going to reply. :(

Never. I said "do not expect me to reply" about a very specific topic, not in general. And I didn't reply you about that topic (mentioned in your answer).

Anyway... I hope you take it as easy as me :) It isn't a competition between users, no one will be the winner. Just exchange of ideas.

Peace and love

So I guess flying a single engine, single seat aircraft with just an altimeter, air speed indicator and gyro horizon, no parachute, radio no GPS is out of the question.

So I guess flying a single engine, single seat aircraft with just an altimeter, air speed indicator and gyro horizon, no parachute, radio no GPS is out of the question.
All those early aviators flying around without GPS... All those engineers designing with a slide rule and no computers...

Duplicate post, please delete

I often dive solo to clean boat bottoms with no BC. In this case, I am in warm water with no suit, usually in about 10 feet of water & not going deeper than 5 or 6 feet. When cleaning boat bottoms, the less gear I bring, the less I have to clean smelly bottom growth debris off of when I get out. A BC can be tough to get the stench out of. If I weight correctly, I start a couple of pounds negative & end about neutral or a pound positive. If I need emergency buoyancy (which is not likely) I could drop my weight belt.

I will sometimes do rec dives to about 30' with no BC in areas that I know well. This makes the rig very streamline, especially if I use an aluminum 40 for a primary tank. It's almost like free diving.

"we used to have smarter people "
Diving has been dumbed down so much that most people should not dive with out a bcd...
but its amazing how freeing it is without a bcd...

I have seen someone lose their bcd at the surface when the inflator hose came off at the bcd bulkhead...(is the same a hole in the bladder )
Believe me it's not pretty. The reg was not in there mouth. Luckily I was close enough to grab them and not let them sink too far...

I personally think everyone should have a reg with a necklace under there chin. Even recreational divers.
I am going to have to reply to this one. If someone cannot stay on the surface without an inflated BCD, then that person is vastly overweighted. Also, where is their snorkel? With weighting so that one is neutral on the surface, this would not be a problem.

SeaRat

Okay, I’m going to give a bit more information here, some of which you may not be aware of. First, let’s talk about the BCD. Many people now think of it as a life-saving device, in spite of the fact that many of the designs will not float a diver face-up in an emergency where the diver is unconscious.

Second, think about the acronym, ”BCD.” It stands for “Buoyancy Compensating Device.” These were developed when the compensation was for the loss of buoyancy of a wet suit. We did not use them with dry suits because they did not loose buoyancy as the diver descended. I dove the original Aquala dry suit. I did not use a BCD with it (primarily because they had not been developed yet).

Now, let’s talk about diving sans a BCD. Some have referenced that we did that in the ol’ days. Well, I started diving in 1959, and got certified in 1963. In those ol’ days, we had no BCDs, as they didn’t exist. In fact, I had a hand in developing the BCDs, and talked at two international conferences about those ideas in the 1970s (NAUI’s IQ 6 and IQ 7).

I remember in about 1959 or 1960 when I was diving solo with my family off a 7-man life raft that included my brothers (3), my Dad, and my Grandmother. I was diving in Elk Lake in Oregon, and having a ball. No BCD. Actually, no wetsuit too, so I got a bit chilled. My Grandma got irritated and worried about me (being about 15 years old at the time), and finally had enough, and demanded to my Dad, “Tell him to come up, Tell him to come up!” My Dad turned to her and simply said, “How?” I came up about ten minutes later; ’didn’t find out about that until just a few years ago.

I was trained by the U.S. Navy in the Naval School for Underwater Swimmers in 1967. We had no BCDs, but what nobody here has stated is that we did have dive vests, with CO2 inflator systems. In that same year, I went through the U.S. Air Force’s Pararescue Transition School (our last of a number of schools). In it we learned parascuba jumping for use in situations where we had a survivor off shore or in a boat, or in a spacecraft capsule (such as Gemini VIII; I was trained on Apollo rescue techniques). We had no BCD then either, but we always work our underarm life preservers (LPU—life preserver, underarm) too.

I did dive sans BCD with my wet suit at times when recreational diving, but during those times we had our weight belts with a quick release to dump in case of any emergency.

So we had multiple ways or maintaining surface buoyancy without the BCD. The problem that the BCD solved was loosing buoyancy as we descended beyond 20 or so feet, and the wet suit’s closed-cell neoprene compressed until it had very little to no buoyancy at all at about 50 feet in freshwater (I checked that, by taking my weight belt off and tying it to the boat’s anchor line, only to be picked up later just before ascent). Drysuits don’t have that problem, but are less hydrodynamic, and now with the addition of a BCD they are even less streamlined in the water (but that doesn’t matter now as no one actually kicks to provide forward motion more than about 1/4 mph).

When I went through my NAUI ITC, we did not have any BCDs. Instead, we all work CO2 vests; now I cannot even buy a CO2 vest, as the manufacturers won‘t make them because some idiot tried to breathe off one and died, and they got sued. So that option no longer exist; you can only buy a snorkeling vest with an oral inflator now.

I hope this gives a bit of perspective on the ol’ days of diving.

SeaRat

PS, I’ll provide some photos when I get up to my upstairs computer; I’m on my iPad now.

Attachments

• Two USS photos.jpg
    Two USS photos.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 46
  • USS--Deep Dive surfacing.jpg
    USS--Deep Dive surfacing.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 52
  • USS-boat exit.jpg
    USS-boat exit.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Rick in Parascuba.jpg
    Rick in Parascuba.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Clear Lake with Aquala001.jpg
    Clear Lake with Aquala001.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 51
I am going to have to reply to this one. If someone cannot stay on the surface without an inflated BCD, then that person is vastly overweighted. Also, where is their snorkel? With weighting so that one is neutral on the surface, this would not be a problem.
Depending completely upon the amount of disposable/consumable gas.

A twinset with three ali80s (2 x deco, 1 x bottom stage) could contain 10kg/22 lbs of gas when you jump in plus 2kg/5 lbs for your reel and crack bottle blob.

... The problem that the BCD solved was loosing buoyancy as we descended ...
The BCD also helps with the buoyancy shift as a full cylinder empties. Some experienced divers can manage the ~5# shift that occurs when an old-school PST 72 goes from 2,475 psig to 300 psig (say), just with proper weighting and his/her lungs.

However, managing the buoyancy shift as an OMS/Faber LP121/125 goes from 3,500 [sic] psig to 300 psig would not be possible for many divers, I think. (See what I did there!!??)

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom