solo training vs firefighters training whats the difference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbomb001

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I've made the decision to go solo my reasons are my own. Seems like I read alot of peoples comments and there seems to be alot of push for divers to take the solo classes .
Now I've never taken one so I don't know what the class actually teaches other then risk management and probably gear selection and how not to panic.
now I have taken a large # of firefighter classes and they all teach self reliance first and foremost its all based on zero vis disoriented entanglement and how to stay calm and find your way out. So my question is being comfortable with all that is there're anything that a solo class can teach me that I have not learned as a fire fighter?

I think you are ahead of any "self reliant" diving course. Most solo divers I know never took a class. They just picked up a pony tanks and went for it. Some seem to have a plan, others seems to rely on a "spare air" a tiny backup tank which is scary. I think that the class is more to explain potential risks and proper equipment. Have not taken one but tempted just in case I missed something I did not anticipate...or thought when I took my first solo plunge (for example a spare mask).

Can you do all those skills underwater? Blind? Disoriented? And with a limited air supply? Do you have a redundant air supply? Are your buoyancy and trim skills exemplary? Are your planning skills such that you plan every dive as if it were a pinnacle dive? Are you ok with the idea that if something goes wrong you may die and die alone and your body never recovered? Is your family ok with that? Those are the things a solo course will look at as well as a few others.

Yes I have a redundant air supply yes I can do all my skill under water while blind and disoriented and yes im ok with dieing if I were not I would not crawl threw burning building and Just so we are clear there is no redundant air supply for fire fighters other then getting out someone can plug into your pack but we are trained NEVER TO DONATE AIR what u have is what u have and it better last you

Reactions: Tug
The SDI Solo Diver manual would give you a good overview of the factual knowledge that the course would cover, and their thinking on risk mitigation strategies such as carrying an extra mask in case a strap breaks, etc...

The actual course would involve real world skills demonstration (which can be a tad humbling for some of us...) and whatever pearls of wisdom your instructor added.

And some sites (like my local quarry dive site) and some charter boat op.s require a formal solo cert. card to be approved to dive solo there, if that is an issue for you.

now I have taken a large # of firefighter classes and they all teach self reliance first and foremost its all based on zero vis disoriented entanglement and how to stay calm and find your way out.

I'm not familiar with firefighter training, but I'm assuming you're talking about 'burning building' type land-based scenarios, not some sort of firefighter scuba courses? And figuring your land training in low viz. entanglement crisis management will carry over effectively to 'similar' scuba problem scenarios? Or I may be off-base and you may be a Public Safety Diver or similar?

I suspect it would to a point. Not sure how far.

Richard.

Ps jim didn't mean for my post last post to come off as rude ,after reading it I thought it may come off that way

---------- Post added June 18th, 2013 at 10:49 PM ----------

Yes my fire training is land based but it has seemed to cary over to the water as well you clear yourself from an entrapment the same way regardless of land or sea for example in a ff survival class you are blind and they spin you till you can Not walk then u drop to the floor and they make you find your way put while throwing ropes wires and bed frames on you if you don't keep your cool get cleared and find the exit u fail,I would compare that to blind wreck penetration lol

So I've made the decision to go solo my reasons are my own. Seems like I read alot of peoples comments and there seems to be alot of push for divers to take the solo classes .
Now I've never taken one so I don't know what the class actually teaches other then risk management and probably gear selection and how not to panic.
now I have taken a large # of firefighter classes and they all teach self reliance first and foremost its all based on zero vis disoriented entanglement and how to stay calm and find your way out. So my question is being comfortable with all that is there're anything that a solo class can teach me that I have not learned as a fire fighter?

I've done a ton of solo diving and started MANY camp fires.. Do you think that training and experience has prepared me for being a fire fighter?

I try not to start fires although I do smell smoke!
I wonder if I should have posted in the public safety area. Lol
I am not trying to justify my solo diving by the fact that my fire training trained me to take care of my self im trying to find out if the solo course is goin to cost teach me anything different then I halve already been trained to do ie no point in taking it if they are goin to tell me how to stay calm clear yourself from an entrapment and find my way out.

I dive solo and have no training and don't recall ever reading a manual about it. I think you need to generally have a viable redundant air supply, unless you are in a very mellow environment. I think you must absolutely be able to remove your tank and clear entanglements, I think you should probably not have all your weight in the BC, so removal of the tank will not cause you to float away, I think you should carry a redundant cutting tool, I think you should be reasonably sure you could make it to the surface without a mask and after that.. just be careful.

I started solo diving soon after certification at the age of 13. The problem may arise that you may be precluded from solo diving in certain locations without a card.

I try not to start fires although I do smell smoke!
I wonder if I should have posted in the public safety area. Lol
I am not trying to justify my solo diving by the fact that my fire training trained me to take care of my self im trying to find out if the solo course is goin to cost teach me anything different then I halve already been trained to do ie no point in taking it if they are goin to tell me how to stay calm clear yourself from an entrapment and find my way out.

...//... my fire training trained me to take care of my self ...//...

Your training was deficient. Read Team Continuity on page 728.

jbomb001,

I have both PSD certs and solo training. I have yet to pass solo.

The two are worlds apart. Fire/PSD training is all about teamwork. "Never leave your buddy's behind."

Solo is different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom