Solo to Dahab in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DutchDown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'd like to get some tips/advice regarding a trip to Dahab I am planning for early to mid-January. I'll be traveling alone since my buddies either can't afford to go then or don't have the vacation time. I'm wondering how difficult it will be to hook up with another diver while there. I'd also like to get some recommendations on hotels and operators.

Than ks in advance for your help!

Phil

Hi Phil,

I have just returned from my 5th solo trip to Dahab, and trust me, you will have no problems whatsoever. All dives in Dahab are guided by a divemaster (government regulation), so if there is no suitable buddy for you you'll buddy up with the DM. It's also a very easy place to meet people, anyway, in the hotels, restaurants etc.
If you let me know what price range of accomodation you're after I can give you some recommendations - as a guideline, a basic room with attached bathroom and fan should cost no more than LE 25 (3.5 EUR).
As for dive shops, there are plenty, most of them pretty good. I have always dived with Fantsea Divers and can recommend them, but there's no need to book in advance, just go there and take your pick.

I don't have the experience Stef has, but I was there on my own in '99.

The first nite we ended up in some hovel in the back of town, but it only cost like 80 cents us.....

I went to a place right on the beach, sort of Greek whitewashed style, owned by I think the owners of Penguin Divers (who knows if any of these places are stil arouns). Very nice with en suite for something like 30 pounds.

When I was there, there were not many other divers, so it was usually me and the DM, maybe one other person.

I recall that I liked the diving very much. I enjoyed the Canyon and the Blue Hole, but for some reason my favorite dive was (i think) called Islands

Have a blast
Chris

Stef and Chris,

I appreciate the suggestions! I gather that January is low season in the Red Sea, so I hope to do the trip somewhat on the cheap. I'm looking forward to some warm water and good visibility. Every dive is a night dive at my normal place. I need a break!

Thanks again!

Phil

Dear DutchDown !

Our hotel and dive centre provides courses and FREE accomodation for participating divers in our dormatory accomodation.We are centrally located on the promenade in dahab next to the new bridge.You can also find us on www.red-sea-relax.com where you can find our email and booking form.Hope to see you in january!

I was in Dahab just 4 weeks ago, for my 1st time. Great diving, and yes, the Islands dive site is terrific - a must do. As is The Canyon, The Bells and a drift from The Bells to the Blue Hole.

I dived with Reef 2000 and enjoyed it a lot. They are out of town a little: 5 mins by taxi, so away from the hustle and bustle if you prefer that. Stayed at The Bedouin Moon hotel which is associated with the dive centre. It's good. Prices are on the web site - sounds like you can certainly save bucks if you look around town, however.

And yes, absolutely no probs with being hooked up with buddies/divemasters if you are solo. I came solo from Australia, and had no dramas in either Dahab or down at Sharm el Sheikh.

Cheers.

P.S: FIVE Egyptian Pounds to get a taxi into town from Reef 2000/Bedouin Moon - don't accept the bloody taxi drivers' cries of "no no, it's 15 pounds, mister!"

Whatever you do when u come in dahab all the prices for souveniers divide them with 3 and thats the real price .dont beleve in any (special prices) they are gonna offer you!Any ways as i said before the hotel i am working in as a manager our dive centre can provide you with brand new equipment and free accomodation if you dive with us aand its in the centar of dahab which is a good place to be and afcourse you dont need any taxi to go around you have every thing you need there

Back
Top Bottom