solo safety drill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba:
I too find I have to do the checks in the same sequence all the time. This, and starting the check list process over from the beginning when anything interrupts it or distracts me, greatly reduces errors that are caught with the re-check.

I do two identical checks and another more minimal one just before entry. This last one is to check weights on, gas gauge reading done while inhaling, all regulators functioning and properly positioned, air in bladder or operable, fins on or in hand, mask on, reg in mouth or in hand. All dependent on dive requirements.

And very important - I do not rush. I wait until I feel ready to enter. If I feel uneasy for any reason, I'll step aside and wait until I gather myself to enter, or abort. I am trying to make these last few evaluation checks before entry totally habitual, by not making any exceptions under any circumstances. Easier said then done, sometimes.

I've been thinking for sometime about adopting a written check list, as it makes sense. How do those of you who use one handle the issue of checking items that will be used every dive and items that are dive dependent and are not used every dive?

JEDI just talked me into writing it on the last page of my wrist slate. Im sure I'll use this on every dive and it will add safety also. anything thats not safety related just has to tag along.
As long as I have the safety drill down ,cameras and lobster bags I can take a chance on

Scuba:
And very important - I do not rush. I wait until I feel ready to enter. If I feel uneasy for any reason, I'll step aside and wait until I gather myself to enter, or abort. I am trying to make these last few evaluation checks before entry totally habitual, by not making any exceptions under any circumstances. Easier said then done, sometimes.

I've been thinking for sometime about adopting a written check list, as it makes sense. How do those of you who use one handle the issue of checking items that will be used every dive and items that are dive dependent and are not used every dive?

I'm glad you said that about not rushing. I get to a dive site, and may take 30 minutes to get everything together, check it out as I go, and get organized before starting my checklist. I check the hoses, look at all the connections and make sure they're tight, gauges, computer, just examine everything as I take it out. THEN I go through the checklist, then check again, then again in the water.

As for the checklist, take your printed checklist (or photocopy of the handwritten one you always use), and make sure there are blank lines at the bottom. Then, as part of my pre-dive planning (at home before the dive, or in the hotel the night before), add the items for that dive that are special. Then when you get to the site, it's all there.

spthomas:
As for the checklist, take your printed checklist (or photocopy of the handwritten one you always use), and make sure there are blank lines at the bottom. Then, as part of my pre-dive planning (at home before the dive, or in the hotel the night before), add the items for that dive that are special. Then when you get to the site, it's all there.

This is what I was looking for, a subcategory for special needs on the same list. Makes sense. Thank you.

I normally dive the same basic configuration on every dive whether it is deep, shallow, buddy or solo to maintain consistency and familiarity. I check my gear when it is assembled, check it again before putting it on and do a final check once again before entering the water.

In addition to the basic configuration (independent doubles, BP/Wing, liftbag, reel, backup light, dive knife) I will add items as needed for the specific requirements of the dive (cannister light, deco bottle(s) etc.)

I think for solo divng pre-dive preparation is particularly important and you need to stick with a routine and take your time. If you get in a hurry you will skip things and make mistakes. In addition to the equipment prep, I also focus on mental prep and go through the entire dive mentally before I ever leave the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom