solo safety drill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cornfed:
I go head to toe and call out each piece of gear. As I move from piece to piece I check to see if it's working and/or in the proper place. My buddy does the same and echos things back as we go. I'm sure you could adapt this to solo diving by bringing a full length mirror with you.

Cornfed, does the DIR crew know you've taken up solo diving? or are you trolling for a negitive response. If you've gone solo wecome aboard.

novadiver:
Cornfed, does the DIR crew know you've taken up solo diving?
Where did I say that? I'm just trying to help...

cornfed:
Where did I say that? I'm just trying to help...

I hope your planning on getting the proper training. If so PM me and I'll give you the name of a shop that can help you get started. B-ville, I grew up on cherry hill road. small world isn't it.

novadiver:
B-ville, I grew up on cherry hill dr. small world isn't it.
Yikes! That settles it I'm moving!

novadiver:
you and I could be related
Great, now I'll have to give up diving because there won't be any money left after all the therapy I'm going to need!

cornfed:
Great, now I'll have to give up diving because there won't be any money left after all the therapy I'm going to need!

The good news is the gene pool just got deeper!! lets try to get back on topic,

stingray1:
I may end up in the end adopting this written check list, seems like a very good ideal as was stated about the pilots check list.

ABCD (NAUI) or BWRAF (PADI).

Is my AIR on? How do I know it?

Is my B/C-harness properly adjusted? How do I know it?

Is everything CLIPPED into place? How do I know it?

Can I DITCH everything? How do I know it?

In addition, I would demonstrate an OOA drill with my buddy or test my pony. I donate my primary with my right hand extended. With my left hand I reach for my backup near my chin. I visually demonstrate that.

For the pony, I turn it on, making sure it is fully pressurized, then turn it back off, leaving it pressurized. The pressure should read 3000 psi.

For tech diving, I would add a bubble check at 20 ft with a small metal mirror. 20 ft is also where I switch onto my hypoxic bottom mix, if its hypoxic. I do the switch before the bubble check.

Then one look at the two depth/time gauges next to each other on my wrist confirms that they are working.

Thats my checklist. Short and sweet.

Your checklist does not need to be a mile long. Fine, if it is. But it does not need to be, if you planned your dive well, and if you have good gear redundancy. KISS. The simpler, the better.

Jedi:
I take a pilots approach. I'm currently having a plastic slate printed that has a 21 step checklist that I run down before diving. Pilots may have flown thousands of hours, but even the old salts still perform a checklist out of a book. Best way to stay repetitive.

Even through it's taught in OW to do the check mentally, everyone always forgets something at some point.

Thank you JEDI, This is the kind of good idea I was looking for.The last page of my wrist slate will now hold my personal safety drill in permanant magic marker.I hope other divers read this. this kind of thinking is what SB is all about!

I too find I have to do the checks in the same sequence all the time. This, and starting the check list process over from the beginning when anything interrupts it or distracts me, greatly reduces errors that are caught with the re-check.

I do two identical checks and another more minimal one just before entry. This last one is to check weights on, gas gauge reading done while inhaling, all regulators functioning and properly positioned, air in bladder or operable, fins on or in hand, mask on, reg in mouth or in hand. All dependent on dive requirements.

And very important - I do not rush. I wait until I feel ready to enter. If I feel uneasy for any reason, I'll step aside and wait until I gather myself to enter, or abort. I am trying to make these last few evaluation checks before entry totally habitual, by not making any exceptions under any circumstances. Easier said then done, sometimes.

I've been thinking for sometime about adopting a written check list, as it makes sense. How do those of you who use one handle the issue of checking items that will be used every dive and items that are dive dependent and are not used every dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom