Solo instructor recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishdip

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Would like some recommendations on a solo instructor. Ideal instructor would be more central USA such as MT,AZ,CO,ND,SD,ID,OK,TX and such!

Would like some recommendations on a solo instructor. Ideal instructor would be more central USA such as MT,AZ,CO,ND,SD,ID,OK,TX and such!
Which agency?

For solo I do not care! I would rather find a instructor who Is very experienced in Solo diving.
Good answer. For the knowledge, a good instructor is key. But if you want to use the card to show certification, it might make a difference (for example) if you have SDI or PADI. ideally, your instructor might be able to supply BOTH cards.

Good answer. For the knowledge, a good instructor is key. But if you want to use the card to show certification, it might make a difference (for example) if you have SDI or PADI. ideally, your instructor might be able to supply BOTH cards.
Right now all my other certs are with Padi.

Solo 500 ft dives? Sorry, couldn't help myself lol
To be fair I more then likely would be solo lol. Have a few ppl that will stage off but the deepest they are going to do is 300feet so from 300-500 I am solo! Unless I find someone who has done it or willing to put in the work to do it!

I don't know any instructors in those states, but honestly if you are willing to go from MT to OK or TX, why not just go to SE Florida and combine the trip with some good diving? That's what I did -- went with The Scuba Club in West Palm Beach, did my Solo class dives at the Blue Heron Bridge, then dove solo the rest of the week.

Although all of my other certs have been with PADI, I went with SDI because it actually says "Solo" on the card, not just "Self Reliant", which I've heard some dive ops don't regard the same (there's a thread on here discussing this topic). Used SDI online learning, and honestly most of the material it is not rocket science if you've been diving a good bit (as I see from one of your other posts) and generally take a mature approach to diving and risk assessment/avoidance (which I'm not sure of given your 300-500 feet statement -- nothing in a recreational Solo course will encourage that without proper tech training).

Where did 500 ft come from? The solo classes do not train for that.

Where did 500 ft come from? The solo classes do not train for that.
Pretty sure it came from
The rebreather thread where he also stated he wants to say he went the deepest on a dive boat.
It may have come from bicycle pump pony bottle
Thread though….

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom