Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My main issue is that basically ALL of my dives are focused on either hunting / gathering or videography / photos. That typically leaves me as a totally inattentive buddy so I 100% prefer to not have any responsibility for another diver and TOTALLY absolve any other divers responsibility to look out after me. That understanding and agreement makes my dives enjoyable and stress free.

I have no problem diving with an individual or a group because it's enjoyable to share...... but even then I 100% do not want to have to have any rules that would indicate that in any way that I am either responsible or liable for another diver. The ONLY exception is my wife. Then it's all on me!!!!

I would not recommend solo diving to someone in the OP's situation, and don't have a lot to add on that given what others have already said.

However, since I went to Curacao this past October for a long weekend with my non-diving wife, I thought I would mention that there are some options for mixed snorkeling/diving tours. Scubaçao has "Cruisers half or full day adventure tours". Dive Center Curacao also has options to add scuba diving to their snorkel tours. Caribbean Sea Sports will also let you add a scuba dive to their snorkel tours - we saw a lot of turtles on their turtle snorkel tour (I decided just to snorkel and not dive on that tour, which turned out pretty good, since it was mostly sandy bottom there). Goby Divers also indicated that they could do a similar tour.

Of course NO ONE would ever recommend that a diver with 9 dive go solo....and we all agree that we would recommend against it. But on the flipside, I hope that we are all agreed that the 9 dive diver......or any diver.......has the human and legal RIGHT to do whatever the hell they want to do.

Of course NO ONE would ever recommend that a diver with 9 dive go solo....and we all agree that we would recommend against it. But on the flipside, I hope that we are all agreed that the 9 dive diver......or any diver.......has the human and legal RIGHT to do whatever the hell they want to do.
No, not really.

My main issue is that basically ALL of my dives are focused on either hunting / gathering or videography / photos. That typically leaves me as a totally inattentive buddy so I 100% prefer to not have any responsibility for another diver and TOTALLY absolve any other divers responsibility to look out after me. That understanding and agreement makes my dives enjoyable and stress free.

I have no problem diving with an individual or a group because it's enjoyable to share...... but even then I 100% do not want to have to have any rules that would indicate that in any way that I am either responsible or liable for another diver. The ONLY exception is my wife. Then it's all on me!!!!
Yeah, I always wondered about that. We have had threads about instructors & DMs, even Rescue Divers on vacation buddying up on charters and if they have more liability due to their certifications. What about two OW divers-- do they have any liability toward each other as buddies? I know anyone can sue for any reason, but what is the reality of this situation? If you agree verbally to buddy with someone is that any kind of a "contract"?

Agree for sure. Basically this would be the Rescue Course. What other aspects would you help them with that weren't in Rescue?--How to best identify and deal with a$$holes?
First, I don't think redundant gas sources are discussed in any rescue courses I've seen. Nor dealing with entanglements.

Min gas isn't even in any WRSTC agency materials (that I know of) for rescue either

Second, not all bad buddies are a$$holes either. Some of them are poorly trained, overwhelmed by stimulus. I prefer to call them Dori divers.

I'm sorry but this is still confusing. Are we talking about elephant crap-load, donkey, or ....?
are you still confused? Maybe I can shine some light from a different angle.

- Can I go solo diving?
- NO!
-Sure do what you want
-NO!
-You have to be this tall.
-NO!
-You don't know what you don't know
-But look... "Logic"
-NO!

at that point a normal adult should walk away and do as they see fit
NO!

First, I don't think redundant gas sources are discussed in any rescue courses I've seen. Nor dealing with entanglements.

Min gas isn't even in any WRSTC agency materials (that I know of) for rescue either

Second, not all bad buddies are a$$holes either. Some of them are poorly trained, overwhelmed by stimulus. I prefer to call them Dori divers.

I’ve noticed over the past few months that some posters have been thinking Rescue is good enough to allow you to solo dive. Head scratcher.

There's another type of 'bad' buddy; a buddy with a different vision of what the buddy system should be than one's self. Some people want tight integration, stay close together, frequently glancing at each other, quite a bit of interaction, etc... Some are content to be in the same group following the same guide and, if you run into an issue, you can fin over to me; happy to help, but we're not baby sitting each other. It's a discussion that's been had on SB repeatedly in one form or another.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump's mother, Insta-buddies are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get. But then, neither do they.

I agree, in principle. But I would add to the "flipside" that, in deciding how much risk to take on, divers might consider not just themselves but also others who might be affected: family members, rescuers, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom