Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

She can report to the authorities the location of your body.

Best to get trained and equipped to solo dive.

I think it's maybe 50% get trained, the other half just decide "Yeah, I am comfortable with this".
I would estimate that many fewer than 50% of solo divers get formal solo diving training. Of course, if a dive op requires a solo card, and if a diver dives primarily with such dive op's, then it might appear to him/her that a higher percentage of solo divers have solo cards.

ETA: I really want to dive the Texas Flower Gardens. I would prefer to dive them solo. However, the charter that runs there requires a solo card (for solo diving), I think. If so, I will have to seriously consider getting a solo card before I go there--despite the fact that I have been solo diving, almost exclusively, since the early 2000's!

rx7diver

So the question is, is it a bad idea to go under alone with someone snorkeling above basically pacing me?
The fact that you are unsure is the key to answer your question.

It isn't about getting permission, it is about enjoying your dives while mitigating the chances of getting hurt. You must decided if you are ready or if you need more. More being additional experience, instruction or a combination of both.

No, I don't think this is true. At least, this is not what I have observed, myself.

rx7diver
Shhh! :wink:

Okay, if not "most," then how about "an increasing number"? The training is available, seems well regarded, and from what I read here on SB, I get the impression more people are availing themselves of it. Very wisely, I think.

I have limited dive experience(9. All from boats), but am confident in my ability and don't panic easily, having already faced a regulator malfunction and remained calm throughout.
From the regulator situation, you learned a bit how you react to a surprise stressor on a dive, and that's good. One of the benefits of the 100-dive requirement for a solo course (last I checked) was giving you enough time and experience to get a sense how you handle those surprises.

The problem is, on a dive, your available mental 'bandwidth' is split between buoyancy control, monitoring position relative to the reef, dealing with functional deafness (e.g.: you can't hear someone coming up behind you, no one can shout a clear warning to you), loss of some peripheral vision, limited breathing function (e.g.: you can only suck air through that 2nd stage so fast), some preoccupation with monitoring depth and gas pressure remaining, and maybe other things. And when faced with a problem that could compromise air supply there's a strong sense of urgency. Overwhelm and panic are easier.

You don't have as much of that mental bandwidth left to channel into assessing and dealing with a problem as you do on land. On land, it's like a 2-dimensional world where you don't think about what's above or below you, holding vertical position is a non-issue, hearing and vision are more powerful, breathing much freer, there's no concern for running out of air or going too deep, etc...

I think of it like this, that I'm functionally dumber underwater. It's not enough to anticipate and think through problems on the surface (though the Rescue Diver course teaches one to think like that). On the dive, you may be functionally impaired. And not factoring in nitrogen narcosis).

In the past, IIRC, someone posted that divers presumed to've drowned have been found with their detachable weights not ditched.

I love solo diving, but join the others in recommending more experience first. Have you heard of the Dive Bus operation? They do shore dives, and might be a great match for what you want to do.

“Wife doesn’t dive.”

Next time, choose more wisely.

I think it's maybe 50% get trained, the other half just decide "Yeah, I am comfortable with this".
That would be me
I would estimate that many fewer than 50% of solo divers get formal solo diving training. Of course, if a dive op requires a solo card, and if a diver dives primarily with such dive op's, then it might appear to him/her that a higher percentage of solo divers have solo cards.
I have 2 certs. 1 OW from Feb 2001. 1 DPV Sep 2022... I paid for and did the AOW course in March 2001 but the instructor didn't accept my dives from when I was in Guam and signed by an instructor down there. For the next 20 years I said **** cert cards and their agencies.

Back
Top Bottom