Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never dealt with a CO2 overload so I don't know how I would deal with that other than just trying not to panic. Is there a particular method to deal with it?

Yes there is ... but what you do will depend on what's causing the CO2 overload. It's usually exertion or a poorly performing regulator.

If it's exertion, stop doing whatever it is that caused the exertion ... in my area that's usually current. If you have the option, duck behind a structure to remove yourself from the current. If you don't have that option, grab ahold of something and concentrate on relaxing your body. Then work on getting your breathing under control. The resolution's counter-intuitive. The CO2 built up in your body is screaming at you to take another breath, and instinctively you'll be breathing fast and furious ... like you just ran a race. But that's the wrong thing to do. You have to concentrate on forcing yourself to slow your breathing down ... deep and slow ... to give your lungs a chance to make a good gas exchange and get rid of the excessive CO2 in your body.

Stop ... relax ... breathe deep and slow ... within a few breaths you'll start to feel better.

If the CO2 problem is caused by a poorly performing regulator, it'll usually show up on a deeper dive. Your solution is to go shallower ... and don't go deep again until you get a reg that's appropriate for the depth you're trying to get to.

Thing is that if you experience this problem and don't know how to cope with it, you could find yourself in some seriously deep sneakers ... the feeling that you can't get enough air is a serious stressor, and those often lead to a level of stress where panic becomes the biggest concern. If panic sets in it won't matter what you know ... your brain won't be processing on a rational level anymore. The "get me the hell outta here" instinct will be in control, and you'll just be along for the ride. At that point, anything can happen.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The problem I have with people say "it is my choice and my choice alone" when it comes to solo diving is that, no, it is not your choice.

As the recent Vortex springs incident illustrated, it affects MANY people when you dive alone. If something happens the likelyhood that you put OTHER people at risk is greatly increased.

How much risk do you think those search and RECOVER divers were exposed to while searching through that cave. Yes, he was another type of stupid to have done the cave dive that he did, but being lost in OW is no better.

When something happens other people have to risk themselves to find and recover you. At least with a buddy they can drag your ass back to land.

Doesn't wash, nobody is forced to look for a body dead or alive, they do it voluntarily and assume the risk. Most who do the cave searches for victims do the same dives for recreation.

Doesn't wash, nobody is forced to look for a body dead or alive, they do it voluntarily and assume the risk. Most who do the cave searches for victims do the same dives for recreation.

...of course, while they're doing so, ain't nobody else gonna be diving at that site.

Vortex was closed for quite a long time ... not only affecting the people who wanted to dive there, but also the income of the folks who own the place.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The problem I have with people say "it is my choice and my choice alone" when it comes to solo diving is that, no, it is not your choice.

As the recent Vortex springs incident illustrated, it affects MANY people when you dive alone. If something happens the likelyhood that you put OTHER people at risk is greatly increased.

Semantics maybe but.....

Of course it my choice.....whether it is the smart choice or not, no one can tell me whether or not I can or should solo dive. Others can only offer suggestions or advice.

Of course that decision can affect other people, but most often doesn't.

The same can be said for many extreme sports.

...of course, while they're doing so, ain't nobody else gonna be diving at that site.

Vortex was closed for quite a long time ... not only affecting the people who wanted to dive there, but also the income of the folks who own the place.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And I get caught up in traffic jams and miss an appointments because some fool was texting while driving and caused a wreck. Life's b---h, get over it.

New diver here. the hardest thing I have had to deal with as a new diver is finding dive buddies. Join a club someone said. I did. It's been 3 weeks since I've joined (the stated weekly diver club) and they have not been in the water. They Keep canceling. Find another club, yeah the next one is 30 miles away and they dive once a month. Find a buddy or a friend. Almost All the divers i know have been diving for over 20 yrs and don't dive except on vacation now. If i didn't go solo diving a few times, I would have probably just given up on it and got my $2k in dive gear and classes back.

My point. I wish no one would dive solo unless that's what they want. If you dive and consider yourself a good buddy, go to the new diver boards on here and when you see a new diver in your area post a message that you are available to dive with them. "On two wheels" invited me on a dive and I'm grateful he did. He even had the balls to invite me to go again next week.

don't just talk about all the bad things that can happen to solo divers without offering to dive with newbies in your area at least once. My page here tells visitors I'll dive with anyone (within a reasonable diving distance). BTW anyone living in So Cal who wants to shore dive this Friday PM me. You pick the beach.

Thanks to all the experienced divers for the posts on here. I have learned, I and I appreciate your wisdom.

lo

And I get caught up in traffic jams and miss an appointments because some fool was texting while driving and caused a wreck. Life's b---h, get over it.

The fact you comment on the fool causing the wreck suggests it pisses you off. So why wouldn't a fool that causes your favorite dive site to be closed? Or cause public safety personnel to put themselves at risk (although managed with skill/training) to retrieve the "fool?" Just because it's part of life doesn't mean it has to be. That's why these discussions take place. Perhaps one diver that was going to dive solo in conditions exceeding his/her ability will now skip it. Well worth the discussion. Thank you for your quality input, though.

New diver here. the hardest thing I have had to deal with as a new diver is finding dive buddies.

WTF?!!! :D Nov 12th bro!!

True ... but the same logic applies in both cases ... that "fool's" actions affected a lot more people than himself. That it's a fact of life doesn't negate the reality of the situation ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The fact you comment on the fool causing the wreck suggests it pisses you off. So why wouldn't a fool that causes your favorite dive site to be closed? Or cause public safety personnel to put themselves at risk (although managed with skill/training) to retrieve the "fool?" Just because it's part of life doesn't mean it has to be. That's why these discussions take place. Perhaps one diver that was going to dive solo in conditions exceeding his/her ability will now skip it. Well worth the discussion. Thank you for your quality input, though.

WTF?!!! :D Nov 12th bro!!

Because I believe people have a right to be fools and besides you can't stop them from being fools so accept it. In the end the loser is the one who lets the fools bother him.

How much risk do you think those search and RECOVER divers were exposed to while searching through that cave. Yes, he was another type of stupid to have done the cave dive that he did, but being lost in OW is no better.

When something happens other people have to risk themselves to find and recover you. At least with a buddy they can drag your ass back to land.

Humanity owes everyone of us one body recovery. Everyone is going to call that debt in once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom