Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solo diving, is diving without assistance. A newly qualified diver needs assistance, regardless of their confidence level. Confidence can exist in the early stages of a diver's experience simply because they have not yet been confronted with problems. It is different from the confidence that is gained from experience and the knowledge that you have been exposed to problems and learnt how to deal with them.

Every scuba agency espouses the 'buddy diving' system, for good reason. Whilst divers have a freedom of choice, they should be aware that their decision making and the possible negative consequences of this have a direct impact on their families, friends and even the rest of the scuba community.

I would never say that a diver cannot go solo diving. But I do recommend that divers take advice from a suitably qualified and experienced mentor or instructor about their capacity to solo dive safely...and then follow that advice.

I disagree that all newly qualified divers need assistance but that's a different debate, I believe.

Confidence of how to deal with emergencies is, in my experience, the same no matter how that confidence is gained. Understanding how and when to react is different than knowing the exact steps of what to do. If a person doesn't know the exact steps of what to do, they should go back and take their OW class again. Knowing the timing is entirely different. Understanding the difference between these two concepts is also a big factor in being "prepared" to solo.

I am of the opinion that everyone coming out of OW should (and I know I do) know how to respond appropriately to any underwater emergency. Free flows, OOA, underweight/bouyant ascent, overweight, blown o-rings, entanglement, loss of vis or mask, loss of other equipment, or an animal "encounter", equipment/gauge failure, currents. Is there anything else that isn't similar to one of these that I might have forgotten?

Barring true medical emergencies, the possible variations of SCUBA emergencies fall into a few basic categories and can be dealt with appropriately by knowing how to deal with them categorically. Every single one of these types of problems were covered in my OW class. How to deal with them generally and specifically. Being able to actually function in those kinds of emergencies isn't something OW classes have the time to train. It's up to the individual to practice these and learn more, on their own or in further classes.

Does that make someone safe to solo? That depends upon who you ask and, in my opinion, the conditions they are going to solo in on a given dive. A pool is certainly different than Puget Sound.

I'm confident I can deal with any emergency during a solo dive. At the same time, I believe I don't have the appropriate diving skills to dive solo without causing some of those emergencies (I'm still working on ascent rate, and buoyancy for example) and I don't have the redundant equipment I feel is a requirement. I have practiced buoyancy and checked out gear in a pool "solo", though. Risk/reward, cost/benefit analysis.

Like you said, the key is being aware of the possibilities and ramifications when making your decision to solo.

Like others I feel the choice to dive solo is yours and yours alone. The vast majority of my diving is solo, easily +1000 dives now. But it is not something I recommend for anyone "new". The best point raised is having the experience UNDERWATER in dealing with problems like blown o-rings, tanks coming out of BCs etc..... A buddy can be a big asset in these situations.

So I am all for Solo diving but you need to have experience underwater in dealing with problems, practice it with a buddy present until you decide you are ready.

To the OP--I might have posted in that thread you're speaking of----but, I was assuming the OP of that thread had a brain to play with...:)

EDIT: I started my solo diving a couple years ago--after 'several' years into diving....

I am truly sorry for your loss, any loss.
However one of the benefits that go along with opposing thumbs is the ability to reason. The ability to identify and mitigate risk. I am a strong advocate for freedom of choice and all the possible scenarios have been disscussed add nauseam in the solo forum and elsewhere. Rather than get worked up one way or the other help steer curious people to training or mentors so they can make a intelligent choice, not just parrot what they heard at lds.
Eric

Well said, indeed.

The decision to dive solo is not one to be taken lightly but many people do just that, take it lightly. Despite all of the specialized training, gear and bravado the solo diver has, it is simply not as safe as diving with a buddy.

However, diving solo is a solo decision, think it over very carefully.

The decision to dive solo is not one to be taken lightly but many people do just that, take it lightly. Despite all of the specialized training, gear and bravado the solo diver has, it is simply not as safe as diving with a buddy.

However, diving solo is a solo decision, think it over very carefully.

There are dangerous buddies. Of course you can decline to dive with them leaving you solo or dry.

Diving, even with a good buddy is simply not as safe as not diving. Just another risk choice we make.

I disagree that all newly qualified divers need assistance but that's a different debate, I believe.

Confidence of how to deal with emergencies is, in my experience, the same no matter how that confidence is gained. Understanding how and when to react is different than knowing the exact steps of what to do. If a person doesn't know the exact steps of what to do, they should go back and take their OW class again. Knowing the timing is entirely different. Understanding the difference between these two concepts is also a big factor in being "prepared" to solo.

I am of the opinion that everyone coming out of OW should (and I know I do) know how to respond appropriately to any underwater emergency. Free flows, OOA, underweight/bouyant ascent, overweight, blown o-rings, entanglement, loss of vis or mask, loss of other equipment, or an animal "encounter", equipment/gauge failure, currents. Is there anything else that isn't similar to one of these that I might have forgotten?

Barring true medical emergencies, the possible variations of SCUBA emergencies fall into a few basic categories and can be dealt with appropriately by knowing how to deal with them categorically. Every single one of these types of problems were covered in my OW class. How to deal with them generally and specifically. Being able to actually function in those kinds of emergencies isn't something OW classes have the time to train. It's up to the individual to practice these and learn more, on their own or in further classes.

Does that make someone safe to solo? That depends upon who you ask and, in my opinion, the conditions they are going to solo in on a given dive. A pool is certainly different than Puget Sound.

I'm confident I can deal with any emergency during a solo dive. At the same time, I believe I don't have the appropriate diving skills to dive solo without causing some of those emergencies (I'm still working on ascent rate, and buoyancy for example) and I don't have the redundant equipment I feel is a requirement. I have practiced buoyancy and checked out gear in a pool "solo", though. Risk/reward, cost/benefit analysis.

Like you said, the key is being aware of the possibilities and ramifications when making your decision to solo.

So how many of those emergencies have you actually experienced? It's one thing to sit in the comfort of a classroom or in front of your keyboard and claim you'd know what to do if it happened. It's something else entirely when it occurs underwater ... particularly if there's something else going on that's already got you a bit stressed out.

Have you ever encountered a current that forced you down or away from your intended destination? Have you ever experienced a CO2 overload to the point where you felt like you just could not get enough air? Those two stressors often occur together ... how would you deal with it? Would you really know? Suppose you knew ... would you remember? Would you apply that knowledge in a timely way so as to break the chain of events that could otherwise just keep piling on stressors?

Suppose you had to deal with a freeflow while soloing? Ever experience a real freeflow? It ain't at all like in the pool ... things can get pretty confusing with all those bubbles blowing in your face ... probably knocking your mask skirt up and flooding your mask. What if it happened in a place where you don't have the option of landing on the bottom while you take care of those things? What if it blew the mask off your face and it sank down where you couldn't find it?

Before you get too confident in your ability to deal with those situations, perhaps it'd be a good idea to go out with a mentor and put yourself in the situation to see what it feels like ... and to try, without help, to extricate yourself.

If you can ... THEN you know. Before then, you're just thinking that you can. Problem is that most folks think they're more skilled than they really are.

Only by experiencing it can you really know for sure ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I "solo dive" regularly in the 16 ft deep end of a local pool.....mainly to practice buoyancy skills and learn how to use my camera gear, deploy a dsmb, etc.

I don't consider that a high risk situation.

However, I am a long way from considering open water solo diving. Fortunately, my wife is my buddy, so I don't have to look very far. Besides, after 30 years of marriage (this month), I'm sorta used to having her nearby.

Although I do dive solo, this was a decision I did not make quickly, nor lightly.

I was a somewhat seasoned instructor and through intro level tech training before I decided that I understood the risks sufficiently to make this decision with some level of thoroughness.

The problem here, as I hear relating to many subjects brought up on the board, is that it is VERY DIFFICULT to know exactly what it is you don't know. As my signature line states, it takes more than simple experience, and training/reading sure isn't going to get you there either.

This type of growth requires an awareness in understanding what your experiences have presented to you (or haven't), and making informed decisions based on that.

Regarding equipment, the technical training prepared me much better there. Solo diving is another venue where cheap doesn't cut it.

I will tell you that I do not "plummet" into the deep to see what's there. I develop a stable strategy that doesn't commit me too far too fast. Considering I lake dive as a primary location, I will say that fishing line is something I had to learn to deal with and is still one of my primary concerns. If you get snagged 5 minutes into the dive you've got a whole lot of wiggle room, but once you've been snagged 2 minutes before your turn time at depth, you begin to appreciate just what you've committed yourself to doing.

My two cents - but it's a good thread.

Solo diving is indeed a personal choice. You don't have to ask anyone's permission to dive solo. And you don't need a special certification to dive solo.

HOWEVER, in scuba, what you don't know can kill you (quite easily as a matter of fact). What may seem simple to the uninitiated may not be so simple at all. It is important to dive within the limits of your training because you may not appreciate the risks associated with exceeding those limits.

Even if you have proper training, there is no guarantee that you will survive your exploits. Nonetheless, there is a significant difference between taking ignorant risks and making an educated decision to take risks.

If you haven't received any mentoring or training is solo diving, then you should not solo. The police won't come knocking of your door in the middle of the night if you do solo - but the grim reaper might.

Back
Top Bottom