Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solo diving is not something Id recommend to anyone over a forum, since it wont provide me with much reliable information with regards to either skill, comfort or ability to manage stressfull situations.
Many think they are good at managing stress, but havent really been in truely stressed situations above or below water simply because everyday life dont push you to your limits.
Also to keep in mind is that stress over situations happening to others, for example if youre the first on the scene of a car accident still is a fair bit different to the stress of your own life being in imminent danger.

The only way to really assess such things is to meet someone in person and make an "educated guess".

Although I wont recommend anyone to go solo diving, I dont oppose it.
Although I know solo diving have inherent and increased risks, I do it.
The days I think I wanna go for a dive on my own but cant think of any risks, I stay out of the water because Im clearly not in the right mindset.

As far as solo diving c-cards goes, no I dont see a point in the card by itself. What I do see value of is what you may learn from a solo diver course.

Hmm.. Come to think of it, I think youre right. I didnt check the OP date, just the last one (which was the one bumping it to the new posts list)

This has got to be one of the oldest posts to be resurrected in quite a while.

Wow! This one was in a coma, virtually flat lined for 9 years and ZAP! That's gotta be, like a record or something...:crafty:

My instructor always said "what's the number one rule in scuba diving?" No matter what we always had to say, "DON'T DIVE ALONE, DIVE WITH A BUDDY!"

I'm agree. IT's really more dangerous and is not a recreational activity.
I think that to do solo dive just for fun is defenetly too dangerous.

Well, I've rescued 4 bodies (not alive) in the last years and were all solo divers. And they were all not properly equipped.

You can be perfectly equipped, but if you faint, you are dead.... so, very dangerous, even if you are perfectly equipped and trained. Period.

enjoy,
m.

<= p.s. in the photo, me solo on Andrea Doria wrek
:angrymob:

I think that to do solo dive just for fun is defenetly too dangerous.
I'll disagree with that sentiment ... although it may be completely true for many people.

Solo diving may or may not be more dangerous than buddy diving, depending on a number of factors.

- the experience level, preparation, and mental approach of the diver in question
- compatibility with the buddy
- choice of dive site and profile
- the reasons why you chose to do the dive solo in the first place

Solo diving isn't something that should be approached casually. It's not something that should be attempted without proper knowledge, skills, and preparation. It's certainly not something you do because you're too lazy to develop decent buddy skills.

There are good and valid reasons why someone might want to solo dive. And like any other type of diving, the decision to go solo needs to start by asking yourself why you're doing it, and then honestly evaluating your preparedness to do it safely.

Well, I've rescued 4 bodies (not alive) in the last years and were all solo divers. And they were all not properly equipped.
Well, first off, if they weren't alive you didn't rescue them ... you recovered their bodies. And of the four, how many had entered the water with a buddy that they subsequently separated from? Buddy separation doesn't make someone a solo diver ... the two are very different things. And if these were people who experienced a buddy separation, it would explain why they were not properly equipped. On the other side of that coin, if they had consciously planned a solo dive and were not properly equipped, then that simply means they were not prepared to do the dive they attempted to do.

None of that appropriately represents solo diving ... because like any other type of diving, there are "rules" to follow in order to do it safely. Those rules exist for a reason, and ignoring them will imperil the diver ... whether or not a buddy is along. In fact, ignoring those rules in a buddy team will often imperil more than one diver.

You can be perfectly equipped, but if you faint, you are dead.... so, very dangerous, even if you are perfectly equipped and trained. Period.

enjoy,
m.
Hate to break it to you, if you faint underwater ... even with a buddy ... your chances of survival are pretty slim ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, first off, if they weren't alive you didn't rescue them ... you recovered their bodies.
And of the four, how many had entered the water with a buddy that they subsequently separated from? Buddy separation doesn't make someone a solo diver

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

well, offcourse you are right, I'm not english mother language ;-)
no, they were all solo divers.

I'm perfectly agree with you, and to dive with the wrong buddy is worst than to dive solo.

Have you read the PS part of my previuous message? ;-)))))

<= p.s. in the photo, me solo on Andrea Doria wrek
:angrymob:

Marco, if that's you solo-diving in your avatar, then that's some fantastic trick then, setting up a camera on the andrea doria wreck to take a self-portrait photo of you. Can you teach us this trick? :eyebrow:

(Just doing my part in keeping a 9 year old thread resurrected!)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom