solo diving ordinance and local regulations attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoubleDip

Contributor
Reaction score
Question, should we have a post attached to the solo divers forum indicating the known state and city ordinances for solo diving........might save someone some bucks!

Edmonds Underwater Park, in the Puget Sound of Washington requires you dive with a buddy.

bottomrunner:
what if you carry buddy in your back?
Huh?? IN your back??

As I am sure Rickand others are aware, we had a diver ticketd ($500.00) for solo diving, when he lost his buddy and then continued the dive. EMS was called and the ordinace was enforced.

The individual later settled, out of court for a lesser fine and no diving in the park for 1 year.

So I think Rick has a great idea, if you know of a local ordinace, post it for all to gain knowledge.

Mike...

Just wondering, how much asking should solo divers do when looking into local dive regulations? I mean, if the local city council woman or a busy body state representative starts hearing stories about "solo divers" asking questions, you can bet they'll go out of their way to.... shut down this dangerous use of our waters by these irresponsible individuals! I would edit in a wav file of someone pounding their fist down on a wooden lecturn while shouting that rant, but, I'm too lazy. Also imagine in the same breath said busy body commenting slyly to his/her fellow busy body ..well at least we can make a buck off them when they get caught..hehehe
Solo diving for me represents a pure form of liberty that I cherish, I for one do not want to lose it to the nanny state.

Quote me if you like "A nanny state is communism's cousin"

kelphelper:
Laguna Beach, CA requires, among other things, a buddy and a snorkel under Title 18 of their municipal code.

has anyone challenged that ordance? the way i read it, if you are a 'certified' solo diver, and you have the 'propper equipment' you may still be in complience. i'm reading 'diving partner' to be an example of 'propper equipment'

anyway, i was curious:ne_nau:

/john

joedelt:
has anyone challenged that ordance? the way i read it, if you are a 'certified' solo diver, and you have the 'propper equipment' you may still be in complience. i'm reading 'diving partner' to be an example of 'propper equipment'

anyway, i was curious:ne_nau:

/john

Good question. I've heard rumors that it had been challenged in the past, but I do not know by whom or what their strategy was. Even if one is a "certified" solo diver, that holds no weight with the city and it is a city ordinance, not a certifying agancy rule. I think maybe they see it as a safety and possibly a liability issue. A "CYA" ordinance, if you will.

Just because it is against city law doesn't mean it doesn't happen. There are many who love to flaunt the snorkel rule too. It's kinda silly...many divers just don't want to be told how and with whom to dive.

I'll have to read it again and see if I interpret it the same way you do. Can't today though! Busy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom