Solo diver vs Self-Reliant diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I am using my own cylinder (which is well-maintained), my biggest risk when diving solo to ~60 ffw isn't running out of gas (since I continuously monitor my SPG), but having my regulator fail to deliver gas. So, when diving solo to these moderate depths, I will use two complete regulators mounted on a Y-valve on my single cylinder (and switch regs periodically during the dive). If the regulator I am breathing ceases delivering gas, I will switch to my other regulator and immediately abort the dive. Plan B is to perform a CESA from ~60 ffw.

If diving solo deeper than ~60 ffw, these days I prefer to use my baby doubles and two complete regulators and follow a protocol that allows me to always be able to safely ascend to the surface on one cylinder, breathing from one regulator, if necessary.

If diving solo to at most ~30 ffw, I don't worry about redundancy (other than the surface). I love diving my PRAM (DH regulator) on a small cylinder for these shallow dives.

rx7diver

I have seen a few places that will refuse a self-reliant card but not a solo card, but never the opposite yet.
Where and what type of operator?

This is the kind of info I'm secretly compiling in the back of me noggin.

When I am using my own cylinder (which is well-maintained), my biggest risk when diving solo to ~60 ffw isn't running out of gas (since I continuously monitor my SPG), but having my regulator fail to deliver gas. So, when diving solo to these moderate depths, I will use two complete regulators mounted on a Y-valve on my single cylinder (and switch regs periodically during the dive). If the regulator I am breathing ceases delivering gas, I will switch to my other regulator and immediately abort the dive. Plan B is to perform a CESA from ~60 ffw.

If diving solo deeper than ~60 ffw, these days I prefer to use my baby doubles and two complete regulators and follow a protocol that allows me to always be able to safely ascend to the surface on one cylinder, breathing from one regulator, if necessary.

If diving solo to at most ~30 ffw, I don't worry about redundancy (other than the surface). I love diving my PRAM (DH regulator) on a small cylinder for these shallow dives.

rx7diver
How many people know of an instance where a regulator has failed to deliver gas during a dive? I'm sure it's better to have a redundant air source, but lots of solo divers have dove without one, so how big a risk is it really? I haven't heard of a diver with a full tank dying because of a regulator failure?

How many people know of ...
A major risk when doing recreational dives in very cold water is having a regulator freeze up (which leads either to a free-flow or to a failure to deliver gas, depending). The solo diver who is diving two complete regulators can then switch to his/her back-up regulator, shut down the offending regulator, and make a safe ascent without drama.

Additionally, if the diver is using both a drysuit and a BCD, then shutting down one regulator still leaves him/her the ability to power-inflate either the drysuit or the BCD.

rx7diver

Shore diving ocean variable conditions 14 metres wetsuit I need to be lithe so No redundancy for me

How many people know of an instance where a regulator has failed to deliver gas during a dive? I'm sure it's better to have a redundant air source, but lots of solo divers have dove without one, so how big a risk is it really? I haven't heard of a diver with a full tank dying because of a regulator failure?

I've personally seen a high-pressure hose spontaneously rupture and start exhaling lots of gas quickly from the large hole in the side of the hose. The hose was neither very old, nor had any visible signs of wear in the pre-dive checks. Fortunately the person in question was in a sidemount configuration and simply switched over and so everything was fine. But there is a reason why, at least among those of us who plan to make it into old age, solo deep diving with a single air source is not a thing.

It's a great question. My feeling is that it is very rare. That said, if you did have a catastrophic regulator failure at 30 metres on a solo dive and weren't carrying redundant gas, you would feel like a right plum.

It may not be just dive shop policies, but local laws that you are dealing with as well, as Grand Cayman seems to ban solo diving anywhere on the island.

I was there for 3 weeks last year for work, with a 10 day gap in the middle where I could dive with no work, so I made sure I had a buddy so I could take advantage of the unlimited shore diving one of the operators offered when paired with some boat diving.

The shame of it is, the night dive we did off their pier in 5' - 15' was a great dive for all the things we saw including the largest lobster I have seen in my life out in the open feeding.

I've seen a few failures, hoses, orings, free flows, etc. but I think that for many people, including myself, they are probably more susceptible to failure to watch the pressure gage and run low, or forget to switch tanks between dives and drop to 80 feet with 200 lbs, or somehow end up with the tank valve only open half a turn etc. People will probably attack this idea and say a pony bottle should not be a crutch that facilitates or promotes careless diving, but I've done some stupid things.

Personally, I am so accustomed to having a pony bottle, I feel nervous and guilty without one if I am more than 60 feet. The pony gives me an incredible amount of confidence, peace of mind and allows me to enjoy what I am doing a lot more.

I dive pretty much every week with a buddy who carries, no pony, no octopus, no smb, no computer, no watch or timer, no knife or cutting tool, no light and dives 34% in a single 80 at 130' + solo for 3 dives a day, in the ocean. He has done it for many years, and apparently feels comfortable doing it. He does have a scooter that should be able to rip him to the surface if need be, but I still view him as a cowboy.

You can play this game anyway you want I guess, but you have to be able to accept the consequences.

The nomenclature and semantics game can get confusing......but mostly just annoying...

Rather than listening to any of us internet keyboard commandos, If you just go directly to the SDI / TDI site, they clearly state that the SDI Solo Diver cert is equivalent to the PADI Self Reliant Diver cert and the SSI Independent Diver cert. "Equivalent" means.... equal in value, amount, function, meaning.

Here's the link to the SDI site..

Recreational Sport Diver Equivalences - International Training - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

But then........ there are going to be operators, LOB's, etc..... that either can't read or don't understand.... so if you have a choice, it's probably best to just take the SDI course since the "card" you get has that warm and fuzzy "SOLO" word on it.

For those with the PADI or SSI cert, you might want to just print out or save a link to the equivalency data...

There is even an instructor here on SB...... (Maybe Kosta or Tursiops ?) who taught for both SDI and PADI simultaneously so would just issue both cards to students once they passed the course.

I personally really don't really care much about the card or what it says on it......but I chose the SDI route since there are others who apparently do care..... and those "others" might be in a position to restrict my diving if they don't see the magic "SOLO" word.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom