Solo Diver and Diver Locator/Transponder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rx7diver

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Gentle Solo Divers,

The current search for the missing Malaysia airliner has me thinking about solo divers and "diver locators" (i.e., diver transponders). I googled and found this SB thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...6-dive-locator-solo-diving-dutch-springs.html.

Question: What do you think about the idea of routinely wearing a diver locator when you're conducting solo dives? Pros? Cons? Maybe leave your transponder code/ID with your other information (including your expected return time) when you file your dive plan with whomever might be your survivors, or with any "authorities" if required? Maybe also leave this info in plain sight on the dashboard of your locked car?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

I'm loathe to advocate anything that could potentially add more "nanny nation" requirements to any aspect of our sport. I took the SDI Solo class from my TDI cave instructor specifically to solo dive at Dutch Springs. Since we did solo training in the overhead that involved decompression, I learned a lot even though I had been solo diving since age 15 when I got my PDIC OW C-card. Although I have been solo diving at Dutch Springs and teaching solo diving there for about a decade, I never asked Stu Schooley (the owner of Dutch Springs) how he decided to allow the activity.

I don't know if profit from locator rentals played a part in the decision to allow solo diving or if that was a by-product of rules put in play by the insurers and legal team. Locator rental is pretty popular there for the privilege of solo diving. Allowing solo diving may increase daily admission, sell more season passes, more air or nitrox fills, more food, more items from the gift shop, and add locator rental as a revenue source. It also would bring more instructors and students for solo classes. Combined, these might make it worth it for Dutch to assume greater liability.

In a relatively small and controlled environment such as Dutch Springs where you have lake staff watching bubbles and a diver has to file a dive plan, there is a very small margin of safety provided by the locator. You could possibly be found quickly enough if you were thought to be missing that the situation would be a rescue rather than a recovery. But, this is a very slim chance. Usually, by the time someone's alarm bells would go off it would be too late.

Diving on your own in an uncontrolled environment, a rescue due to a locator is highly improbable. You may still have a chance when diving from a boat in which the crew is expecting you back at a specific time, but in reality, any chance of being rescued in a solo emergency anywhere is slim to none.

So, what can a locator do for you? It would just make it more probable that recovery divers will find your body easier with less risk to themselves and in less time sparing your family hours or days of anguish waiting for the closure that begins when a body is retrieved. Which, I'm assuming, is precisely why the OP started this thread.

Whether you want to spend the money and carry a locator to possibly help recovery divers and possibly reduce the time your family needs to wait to see if you are really dead is a highly personal decision. But, as a tech, cave and solo diving instructor, I often teach that we do not want to open a window of opportunity for an accident. Having a locator for a recovery purpose is kind of like acceptance that you are more willing rather than less willing to die solo diving.

Perhaps a person would be better off taking their locator money and finding the right solo instructor to kick his or her butt until they are properly equipped, pretty bullet-proof skill-wise, and hold the right mindset for safer solo diving? Or, perhaps without knowing your family won't have to wait as long for you to be recovered you will take less chances underwater while diving?

Of course, you can be trained, dive intelligently, and something can still go wrong. For example, you could have your first (and last) heart attack while solo diving. If you honestly see a locator as simply a tool that will make it easier for a recovery team and easier for your family, then there is nothing wrong with carrying one. Personally, I don't unless I'm at Dutch Springs.

From a practical and statistical standpoint it makes more sense for divers with fewer than 100 dives to wear one. As Trace mentioned, the vast majority would only be useful for body recovery.

Along these lines, the Liquivision Lynx computer uses acoustic rather than radio frequency for their AI transmitter and includes a tracking mode. It has an advertised range of 100 Meters/328' and each transmitter has a unique identifier.

So, what can a locator do for you? It would just make it more probable that recovery divers will find your body easier with less risk to themselves and in less time sparing your family hours or days of anguish waiting for the closure that begins when a body is retrieved. Which, I'm assuming, is precisely why the OP started this thread.

TraceMalin,

Yes, this is what motivated my op. This and my concern that life insurance payout might be delayed if there is no corpse.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

We're basically talking about a LoJack for airplanes, pets, laptops, and cell phones already. How much longer can it be for divers and kids... or just imbedding an IP address in everyone at birth? Interesting times.

Last edited:
We spring for the additional life insurance. It's probably wise to make the insurance payout as easy as possible if in fact we should meet our untimely death while solo diving. I'm thinking that opting to use one of these divers transponders is a prudent step. Of course, someone among the living must possess and know how to use the receiver if the transponder is going to do us, um, our survivors any good ...

Last edited:
Some years ago I was on a liveaboard and a solo diver had one of these: DiveTracker SCOUT He would tie off the receiver near the bottom of the ladder b4 every dive so he ccould find his way back. Although in the Southern Bahamas, the rest of just looked for the boat - wasn't hard to spot since it was the tallest thing for miles...lol.

I'm guessing if you carried the receiver instead someone could use it to find you if overdue.

Another option if you can make the surface is: http://nautiluslifeline.com/ Not much good if you're stuck u/w though.

Some years ago I was on a liveaboard and a solo diver had one of these: DiveTracker SCOUT….

You basically have that ability with the Lynx. They make a transmitter that can be used for marking locations without being attached to a first stage. I imagine it only transmits the transmitter’s ID instead of ID and pressure like the AI transmitter.

Liquivision : Scuba : Lynx

It would be nice if the wrist-mounted version of the Atomic Cobalt uses the same technology when it comes out now that they are owned by the same company.

I've just spent a bit of time reading about these diver locators. There seem to be two design solutions: My understanding is, with the first solution, the simplest, a diver wears a transmitter (or "pinger"), which he/she switches on as he commences his dive. The transmitter begins broadcasting immediately a signal that can be "seen" immediately by a receiver left behind.

With the second solution, the diver wears a transponder, or transceiver, which remains "silent" until it "hears" an interrogation signal from a companion transceiver left behind. This companion is turned on only after a search must be begun for the diver. Upon hearing the signal, the first transceiver (worn by the diver) begins broadcasting location information to, and exchanging signals with, the second transceiver, providing a path to the diver.

Each solution seems to have certain advantages and disadvantages. The first solution allows the diver to immediately determine whether his diver locator system is working properly, even before he enters the water. However, these electronics remain fully active, consuming power, throughout the dive, even though they almost certainly will not be needed (hopefully).

The second solution, effectively a standby system, is being trusted to work in the (hopefully) unlikely chance the diver must be located. The system conserves batteries until it *needs* to use them.

I'm not sure which is the better solution...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom