Solo Dive on the “Spiegle Grove” on a jet ski!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
I dont see the problem. Everyone is responsible for deciding what level of risk theyre prepared to take. Its not THAT deep a site. If he had proper kit and a redundant air source then i have no problem solo diving.

I do however absolutely HATE any boat anchored or tied off on a dive site. I think its a very stupid idea. In this case, if he'd missed the buoy line, drifted or whatever he may have been in trouble. For that reason alone i wouldnt do it.
Its the one thing when diving abroad i dislike - having to return to a buoy line.
Agree on the personal responsibility. And likewise on being properly equipped.

Your second paragraph explains rather well why I wouldn't want to do it.

I own two boats that I can dive off of but occaisionally my old dive buddy and I would dive from our Seadoos. Actually we did it a lot. Having said that, I wouldn't do it in the open ocean. Heck I wouldn't even do it on a busy weekend at the lake. One of the places we would dive from the SeaDoos was way up in the lake and a lot of stumpy shallow water had to be traversed in order to get up to where we wanted to dive where the water depth opened back up. An air boat would have probably worked too but I don't have one, and land access was a no go because that end of the lake was surrounded by private property with no entrance allowed by the owner. What we did was configure a couple of pull behind rescue sleds to hold most of our gear, and our regulator bags were stowed in the dry box up front on the skis. It's a lot of fun guys!

String:
... or towed the jetski on his dive as a giant smb :)

Oh yeah, that would be too cool. You could anchor the yacht downstream of the wreck and jetski to the entry. Then drift your way back. You wouldn't even have to shoot a bag because the spotter on the yacht could just watch for the jetski. You've invented a new way to dive!

Was thinking more of just towing the thing on the end of a reel, on surfacing jump back on and drive it to shore.

Its a daft idea BUT it is one of the exam questions for one of the courses here. Multiple choice and completely ludicrous.

When diving from a branch RIB, when
everyone, including the cox'n, plan to dive, it
is best to:
A: anchor the boat and all dive at the same
time
B: anchor the boat and dive in two waves
C: dive in two waves and keep the boat
mobile
D: all dive at the same time, using the RIB
as a giant SMB

E: dive one pair at a time, taking turns as
ADM

(Multiple choice, only one answer is correct).

Anyone choosing option D should IMHO be dragged outside, beaten and banned from diving or attempting to dive for life :)

scubafool:
Agree on the personal responsibility. And likewise on being properly equipped.

Your second paragraph explains rather well why I wouldn't want to do it.

I third the notion... proper gear s/u & experience, all for it.

But what if someone car-jacks his jetski? That's a long swim.

Snowbear,
It's a BSAC exam of some sort - a lot of dive clubs use RIBS over here - your type of diver would be on a hardboat with a lift :)

I don't know the answer to it but I'd guess B.

I would guess E.

Back
Top Bottom