Solo boating AND solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been boating for 8 years and solo diving for much longer. The thought of combining the two has never really appealed or occurred to me. Everyone has a level of risk they are willing to accept. I think this crosses the line for me. Too many things with the potential to go wrong which are out of my control, although I see how some of the risk could be mitigated. Any thoughts? Does anyone on ScubaBoard do this?

I've always imagined that single-handed sailing to a lagoon or cove where you can anchor or moor your boat and then dive to harvest your meal, would be a most excellent adventure.

I need a boat!

ETA: You know, a Rix SA6 compressor and a couple of Al 63's or old school PST 72's don't require too much space for a small sailboat.

rx7diver

If I were in Key Largo with all the mooring buoys, I would be tempted to do this. As I am in Palm Beach Co with all the drift diving, this would not be a possibility.

I've always imagined that single-handed sailing to a lagoon or cove where you can anchor or moor your boat and then dive to harvest your meal, would be a most excellent adventure.

rx7diver

I do actually do this, but not solo. Family is on the boat and I'm usually freediving. It's possible to keep an eye on the boat when freediving.

If I were in Key Largo with all the mooring buoys, I would be tempted to do this.

If we had mooring buoys, I'd be tempted too. We do have them, but only in harbours and they "belong" to someone. If they came along while you were underwater, they might just cut your boat loose.

I have done limited solo diving off a manned boat, and buddy dived off an unmanned boat. I have never had the urge to combine both. To me it is just pushing my luck a little to far.

Leaving a boat unattended while diving does not make me feel at all comfortable. I can see 3 problem areas.

1, Boat not there at the end of the dive, drifted off or while very unlikely stolen.
2. Boat has a serious water ingress problem, I have been on two boats where this has been a problem, luckily enough it was noticed before divers were underwater.
3. You can’t get back to the boat despite mermaid lines etc.

I have done limited solo diving off a manned boat, and buddy dived off an unmanned boat. I have never had the urge to combine both. To me it is just pushing my luck a little to far.

Leaving a boat unattended while diving does not make me feel at all comfortable. I can see 3 problem areas.

1, Boat not there at the end of the dive, drifted off or while very unlikely stolen.

3. You can’t get back to the boat despite mermaid lines etc.

Yes, these are very much my concerns, plus local geography is such that you often need to anchor very close to the rocks in order to be shallow enough for good anchorage and wind/swell protection. A change of wind or current while you are underwater may not end well.

My buddy and I dive off a boat together. Often there will be nobody on the boat we're both diving....
we sometimes use twin anchors,

There is a site that has a good mooring ball, but sometimes has a real fast surface current, worst come to worse, plan is one person takes off his tanks, and swims after it,

We have in some shallow areas hung the anchor from the boat 5ish ft off the bottom and drift dive with the anchor in sight, as the wind drifts the boat...

I boat and dive solo quite a bit. You have to think about all the potential dangers and manage the risks as best you can. Having said that nothing in life is risk-free.

For example: Currents are my #1 concern. If there's a significant current, I don't dive. If there's a slight current and I decide to dive, I swim into the current and make sure I am up current from the boat at all times. I keep a vigilant eye on the current situation throughout the dive. I carry a scooter so that if I am further from the boat for whatever reason, I have another option for getting back (bearing in mind scooters die). I typically dive where I can swim to shore if necessary. I carry several signaling devices. This is some of the contingency planning (the list goes on and on) but, in the end, there's always some risk. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

As for making sure the boat is there when I get back, I use a good claw anchor, a long, heavy chain (chain keeps the anchor parallel to the bottom) and plenty of scope. I always go down the anchor line and visually inspect the anchor to make sure it's properly set, holding and not fouled. That's one nice advantage that divers have over non-diving boaters :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom