Solo at night?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No matter how good you are with the compass it's not enough for underwater navigation. The compass only gives you direction and there is no reliable way to measure distance. Unless there are clear landmarks it's best to keep to simple linear navigation to get back to shore at night, otherwise you can end up surfacing in a totally different area or different cove.
Like AfterDark, I disagree as well. That's the point of learning to use the compass (not just to read it), you also have to learn to measure distance and combine use of landmarks. The most common ways are counting finstrokes and counting time. In both you have to compensate for possible current drift. Calculating finstrokes might be more accurate if you plan to stop many times on your way, but, you have to be careful not to lose your count. Counting time is easier if you have a good average speed that is not much affected by depth and your varying eagerness/tiredness/etc. If you stop for a longer period, you have to take that in account.

For example, a simple open water exploratory dive for me in a new place would be:
1) 2+10 minutes in compass direction directly out. During the first minutes memorize the depth and landmarks for your return (or use lights as breadcrumbs). If depth becomes excessive too soon, stop earlier and lengthen legs 2 and 4.
2) Turn right/clockwise 90 degrees to follow again compass direction for 10 minutes plus possible lengthening from step 1. You should now be following the coastline. If necessary, limit the depth and follow depth line. This means you will be moving closer to shore than the rectangular path would take you.
3) Turn right/clockwise 90 degrees towards the shore and follow this direction about 10 minutes. If your course was fully rectangular, you are now at a shallow depth corresponding to the initial 2 minutes outbound. You might encounter too shallow water earlier, just stop and make a mental note of this.
4) Turn again right/clockwise 90 degrees and follow the shallow water towards your entry point. This again would be 10 minutes plus the possible lengthening from step 1. In the shallow you are more likely to be blocked by shallow obsructions that you have to circumvent. This takes additional time, so add about half of this to your navigation time. E.g. if circumventing a large rock takes you 2 minutes, add one minute to your return time.
5) You should now be close to the landmarks you memorized in the beginning. If you still cannot see them, continue perhaps an additional minute or two, but, not much further.
6) Finally, turn now LEFT/anticlockwise and in a minute or two you should be where you got your toes wet.

Unless I make a really big mistake, I surface within 30m/100 ft of my initial entry point. On a rectangular route, possible skewing out of the exact direction tends to even out over all.

The typical visibility on my dives is 2-5m/6-15ft and consequently night diving does not differ very much from "day" diving. I rarely dive in visibility with less than 1m/3ft visibility, but, then you really have to trust your compass and your skills to use it. My best navigation sofar was a one-way navigation 600m/2000ft across a lake to an island 10m/30ft wide. The visibility was far worse, less than 1m/3ft, than I initially expected, otherwise I would not have bothered to take a big camera with me (sic). The biggest concern in such a long(ish) navigation was to maintain an accurate direction irrespective of the asymmetric drag profile (stage tank on one side and camera in other hand) and how I might unintentionally try to compensate this by different left/right fin strokes. My solution was to alternate the stage tank and camera from side to side at regular intervals. I was also concerned of the distance because I could not check it except by hitting the island, or, I might overshoot it a lot. Well, luckily I hit it spot on (big grin). But, blunders do happen occasionally as well;-)

The only places where I view compass directions as informational only, are large (metallic) wrecks and areas with ferrous minerals.

...are there any special precautions or additional equipment considerations?..

If I'm diving from a boat I carry an emergency strobe.

Otherwise there's no difference for me between day and night soloing. But then, where I solo during the day the water is so murky that it's completely dark below 60 feet anyway.

A small light ( personally I prefer it when the batteries are old so it isn't too bright) strapped to your mask makes life much easier for reading gauges or if you need to do something with both hands you still have enough light in the right area.

Pretty sure it hasn't been mentioned here yet but entries and exits can me more challenging at night. Due to uneven surfaces and slippery conditions - so take a little extra time on these. I will be honest it's much easier to enter on dusk when you still have a little bit of light then when you have no natural light.

At least 1 extra light, and even if the water is warm I wear a full dive skin and light hood to protect from jellies which can be more numerous at night. I also attach a flashing strobe to my tank.

A night dive alone is something you have to experience to understand. It is hard to describe it. I have had the same experience in the past walking into big church cathedrals. It's like you feel a sprirtual presence, but it's not a godly spirit, more of a mother nature spirit. You feel totally at the mercy of the ocean around you. There could be something harmful to you just out of range of your light and you have no clue it's there. You could settle down onto the sand bottom and land on top of a torpedo ray resting just under it and get shocked senseless. You just say to yourself -- if it's going to happen, it's going to happen -- and you get on and enjoy your dive. I don't recommend diving at night alone [though I highly enjoy it myself], but everyone should try it at least once for the thrill of it.

My recommendations would be --- more than usual all-around caution, redundancy+, a high sense of situational awareness, dive a familiar site, stay shallow, a compass is a necessity, be sure someone knows where you are/leave a note on your car, go on a clear summer night of the full moon [awesome].

Oh - and a can of frozen organic peas to feed the fishies that are trying to figure out what the hell you are!

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for your considered replies. I have not had the chance to do a night solo dive yet, but it's on my mind...

Last edited:
Perhaps my single most-favorite dive is doing a solo night dive on the wreck of the Arabia, in Tobermory. She sits in 110' of water, about 3 miles from my front door. Oddly, Mrs. Stoo kinda prefers them too for the simple reason that I can give her an occasional "OK" signal from below... the water is clear enough that she can see my light when I point it up towards the boat, 100' above. :D

As others have pointed out, I carry an extra light, and perhaps a strobe... It's hard to get lost on a wreck like this...

I’ll disagree with that. We measure distance underwater by counting our fin strpkes. You 1st need to find out how many fin strokes it takes to move you along a known distance. I use pace beads to keep track of my fin strokes. I normally don’t need to do this but for precise nav it is how I measure distance.

Fin strokes are a crude measure, at best. There is no way to account for a slight head or tail current, which you won't notice. Even if you do notice, any correction you make is a guess.They are also only as accurate as you are consistant in finning. Any fatigue or excitement affects the rate and strength of strokes. Most importantly neither compass nor counting fin strokes can account for lateral drift from a slight current. Just because you are swimming due north, for example, doesn't mean you are traveling due north.

Fin strokes are a crude measure, at best. There is no way to account for a slight head or tail current, which you won't notice. Even if you do notice, any correction you make is a guess.They are also only as accurate as you are consistant in finning. Any fatigue or excitement affects the rate and strength of strokes. Most importantly neither compass nor counting fin strokes can account for lateral drift from a slight current. Just because you are swimming due north, for example, doesn't mean you are traveling due north.

Well it works for me, very well as a matter of fact. So well that every time I go diving with divers that have dived with me for a long time they ask me to do the NAV. Underwater NAV is a best guess under the best conditions. However the more one does the better one gets. After 40 years and thousands of dives I've pretty much got the hang of it. You will too keep at it.

I sometimes carry a third light but usually just a Chem light as the third..... My Night Solo diving is almost exclusively on a wall so very little nav required and I plan my dives around minimal slack tides.....

Cheers,
Roger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom