Solo again !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mandy3206

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last sunday, we went spearfishing in one of our local reef, we've dived here for yrs, and we know our way around quite well, the boat droped anchor and we went our separate ways. Four divers in the same area, but each a solo diver, I didn't saw another diver until I surfaced.

I realized that solo diving takes less task loading than with a buddy, I feel confident in my gear and feel well prepared for that kind of dive.

I've been doing it for yrs and have never done it beyond my abilities.

Just to share my thoughs

On a diferent but similar note, 3 flipers came by at the 25 min mark on the second dive, I heard them coming doing their charasteristic sounds, viz was about 35 Ft and all of a sudden they were right beside me, they circle me once and head out to sea, a 25 second experience, but will last a lifetime and I enjoyed it SOLO.!!!!!!

Mandy3206:
Last sunday, we went spearfishing in one of our local reef, we've dived here for yrs, and we know our way around quite well, the boat droped anchor and we went our separate ways. Four divers in the same area, but each a solo diver, I didn't saw another diver until I surfaced.

I realized that solo diving takes less task loading than with a buddy, I feel confident in my gear and feel well prepared for that kind of dive.

I've been doing it for yrs and have never done it beyond my abilities.

Just to share my thoughs

On a diferent but similar note, 3 flipers came by at the 25 min mark on the second dive, I heard them coming doing their charasteristic sounds, viz was about 35 Ft and all of a sudden they were right beside me, they circle me once and head out to sea, a 25 second experience, but will last a lifetime and I enjoyed it SOLO.!!!!!!

It is very common for spearfishermen to dive solo.

For a different reason I will be going solo alot now. Have been studying and working on skills as of late. Will be asking a few questions soon.

like alot of folk I like to solo dive too, I woludn't agree that solo diving has less task loading than buddy diving, I think it will inherently invlove greater task loading due to you not having the redundancy tha comeswith another pair of eyes!

I find that diving solo is somewhat less task loaded that diving in a team, because you don't have to worry about staying with your buddy and assisting him/her if a problem were to arise. Also it seems a lot more peaceful with just you and yourself down there.

Wondering if it would be a bad idea to solo the Andrea Doria, any ideas?

Dryglove:
Why dont you try it out and let us know :D

Is that a dare????? :eyebrow:

DMP:
Wondering if it would be a bad idea to solo the Andrea Doria, any ideas?

I do a great deal of solo hunting and diving but due to the technical nature of the Doria I would personally want a well trained tech team with me. Just my .02. I've seen alot programs about that wreck and it just seams to be a killer, literally.

DORSETBOY:
like alot of folk I like to solo dive too, I woludn't agree that solo diving has less task loading than buddy diving, I think it will inherently invlove greater task loading due to you not having the redundancy tha comeswith another pair of eyes!

Like teknitroxdiver said,

I find that solo diving has much less task loading, definitely. At least for me.

I've done around 100 dives in the last 8 months, 1/2 solo, 1/2 with a buddy.

When I am solo diving, I can spend much more of my brain knowing where I am, what my air is, NDL time, and depth, etc.

With a buddy, some of brain is focused on them, and what they are looking at, "what do they want to do", and "what can I show them". It makes it more difficult to concentrate on everything else. Much higher level of task loading.

I'm not trying to imply I favor solo diving. Buddy diving brings many other advantages that I enjoy, which is probably why I do 50/50.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom