Solo again !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a lot of the solo dives I've done, I've noticed that I'm a lot more un-lost than I am in a buddy situation or a group. I suppose it's because I can spend some of the time normally spent monitoring your buddy, to notice landmarks and keep a mental moving-map-display going.

I was joking.....would never do that solo

Diving at significant depths IS solo diving. I mean it is nice on a 250 foot dive for your buddy to send your body up to the surface for recovery!

scubacurt:
Diving at significant depths IS solo diving. I mean it is nice on a 250 foot dive for your buddy to send your body up to the surface for recovery!

My aren't we a testy one......take it you did not have your coffee yet Jk..

teknitroxdiver:
I find that diving solo is somewhat less task loaded that diving in a team, because you don't have to worry about staying with your buddy and assisting him/her if a problem were to arise. Also it seems a lot more peaceful with just you and yourself down there.

To add my two cents: I do about 30% of my dives solo, 50% with a buddy or buddies, and 20% with my public safety dive team. I'm thoroughly committed to PSD because I crave the challenges. I thoroughly enjoy buddy diving because I like the social aspect of getting together with friends and going diving. And I am thoroughly determined to do solo diving because many of my friends don't have the time to dive as frequently as I want to. But I certainly agree: the task loading is ALWAYS MOST INCREASED in buddy diving...and this may seem unusual coming from someone who does PSD. When doing PSD, I pretty much know what to expect from the other divers and we are following strick training and guidelines. When doing solo diving, I'm only concerned about myself. When buddy diving, even though I love sharing the dive experience with others, I'm ALWAYS more heavily tasked monitoring my dive buddies. Usually being the most experienced diver, I feel responsible for them so I'm always looking at what they are doing and assisting them with problems (note: the assistance is never unsolicited LOL). So it is just sweet every now and then to just get out there by myself with no worries, no compromises on the dive plan, and no monitoring of anything except for what I'm doing. I just go out and do what I want to do and at the pace I want to go. But I've got to admit that doing it alone means you miss out on a critical diving experience: talking about the diving afterward over a couple of beers and some good food. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom