Solid blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_C

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This picture was taken off the coast of NC at about 80 ft. There were three fish close together. Two solid blue ones like this one and a yellow tail reeffish. There were several other junvenile beaugregory also in the area. Somehow it did not look right for a blue chromis to me. Seemed stockier. Any suggestions.

Here is the picture of the blue fish

Attachments

• what.JPG
    what.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 143
Blue hamlet maybe? Did you say the other fish was a dark color with a yellow tail, which could have been yellowtail hamlet. Then perhaps it makes sense.

Hard to get a good look at him on my little screen. Does this fish have a black marking across its eye? That would put me in mind of a fish from the other side of the world. Name I can't think of.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 09:12 PM ----------

But then again . . .might just be chromis. Look at your picture and see there's kind of a stripe pattern front to back. We see that here too. Seems distinctive to me. What say you?

http://www.ryanphotographic.com/ima... Blue Chromis, Glover's Reef, Belize-2835.jpg

Didn't have access to my photos when I responded above. Here are a few shots of Purple Reeffish:

Blue Heron Bridge:
FL_20140918_0390sb.jpg

MicKey Wreck off NC Coast (near Frying Pan Tower)
NC_150611_1090sb.jpg

Same site and same group of fish... Found out that as they mature, Purple Reeffish become less purple.
NC_150611_1100sb.jpg

Did you say the other fish was a dark color with a yellow tail, which could have been yellowtail hamlet.
All fins but the top fin were yellow and there was white on the belly.

This is not a good picture, it is cropped from part of the picture focusing on the purple reeffish which was closer. But clearly a Yellowtail reeffish. Pretty little fish.

Attachments

• whatis2.JPG
    whatis2.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 69

Back
Top Bottom