Software GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
Wanted to get your opinions of software based GPS software's (ie: Microsoft's Streets & Trips, Garmin's GPS18 bundle and likes) that have a small USB powered GPS receiver controlled by a NB for navigations and such.

How good are they? Worth the buy or will I be regretting it the minute I open the box? Essentially I am looking for something that can give me turn-by-turn info when traveling long distances, has up-to-date road info and can suggest lodging/food/etc.

With sooooo many GPS choices out there (either handheld, mounted or software based) it's hard to choose.....so those that have a unit or two, what would you recommend? I also would like to keep the price down as low as possible, so that is why the software versions seem feasible.

It depends. I use Streets and Trips with a Garmin GPS that I use for boating and other navigation purposes. I already had a laptop and the GPS so adding just the program made sence. If all you want to do with it is in car navigation, I suspose the combos are fine. I have a lot of other uses for the GPS where I don't need or want computer. Even so, given the cost the buying them seperate or as a set I would still go with the seperate pieces. The cost is more or less the same if you buy an inexpensive GPS and you get the added benefit of having the GPS to play with.
For what it's worth I have both Streets and Trips and DeLorme Street Atlas. I much prefer the S&T to DeLorme SA. What ever you choose, I will tell you the driving directions leave a lot to be desired, they will get you there but often times it the long way around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom