Soda - so bad in many ways...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks, no worries, thanks for your explanation. around the originial topic if anyone is interested in ready more about the acid in soda i refer them to a great site on urban legends. it takes the opposite view of the thread starter and is worth a look. they take the time to address and debunk many things we all take as facts. im not vouching for anyone, just offering up a read with an opposing view. snopes.com

weekender:
please don't be insulted by my skepticism. but I feel I have the right to question anything someone posts as fact. you wrote, "Here's what one of my clients and personal trainer has to write." I ask, what education does yours or any personal trainer have? what makes him an expert on soda or teeth? my trainer has a high school diploma but even if he had a doctorate I would like to know how he came to this conclusion. I would also like to be able to verify his research. your post mentions, "The British Dental Association sent out a warning ." I'm American and not familiar with this organization or their warning but according to their website they are a trade union and set work policies for dental professionals not set health standards or do research. a lot of warnings are thrown around the internet and sound professional and factual. many times I really have to doubt a good intentioned warning. perhaps diet soda does rot your teeth. I personally doubt it but admittadly don't know. so does my dentist though, who I hold in high esteem as a dental expert. but your post based on non expert opinion and anecdotal evidence hasn't changed my mind. if perhaps you or anyone can refer me to documented research by a recognized scientific organization I will change my mind. until then i'm going to drink diet soda with a clean conscience. finally, I assure you i'm not doubting your intentions or questioning your trainers intelligence or integrity. I just get skeptical about email health warning because so many fakes are out there.

One asks and one should have an answer - its good to question and not just take anything as fact because someone says it is. :)

My trainers advice, is wholly backed by my dentist who without solicitation asks me questions about soda consumtion and said exactly the same thing. She also tells me no hard candy which is all well and good, but I find worthers oringal a good after dive get the salt water out of your mouth thing. :)

For personal trainers training, (edit, misquoted my PT), they need to complete a course through a certifying agency before they can quailify for insurance. What they are expected to know, understand and show competency in is the following:

Subject areas include:

Basic muscle physiology
Energy metabolism
Exercise physiology training principles
Strength and aerobic conditioning
Safety guidelines
Sports training
Exercise testing
Body composition analysis
Safety, anatomy, and exercise
Complete program design and development
Documentation
Nutritional considerations for the personal trainer
Psychology, motivation, ethics, and success
Business of fitness: marketing/law/finance

This covers the "Certified Personal Trainer" portion of their title which makes them elegible for insurance coverage for their profession and most gyms won't let a trainer on the floor of their facility without being covered insurance wise. As a personal trainer it is in their best interst to stay on top of the health industry news so that they can keep their clients informed and make recommendations as requested (or in the case of my PT, pick on me for missing a current event). Soda being a big factor for water retention, obesity, blood sugar issues, etc., is an easy target to keep an eye out for, so when one of the worlds dental administrations puts out research stating that it is a contributor to other issues, you can bet your paycheck that the PT will have this as ammunition. :)

I also researched the BDA before I posted since I have the great luxury of having free time and a big internet pipe at work, here is the link directly to the article - I encourage you to look around the site to ensure its validity: http://www.bda-dentistry.org.uk/advice/news.cfm?ContentID=1264

To help lay at ease the fact that I may post something that is unsubstantial, with the exception of stuff I post in jest, I do have verifiable credible sites and am not shy to call my doctor, chriopractor, etc., to get a professional opinion if I feel skeptical. I may not always post my sources, but I am more than happy to provide when asked.

Many years ago I gave up caffine and was drinking sprites and root beer. When my husband told me about a guy he knew online who helped his diet a lot by cutting out soda just based on the calories alone I dropped it. I drink almost nothing but water and whenever I do have a soda I feel bloated and icky. It was pretty easy for me but I didn't have the caffine hurdle to deal with.
I have read that the 8 glasses a day is over simplifying how much water we should intake because it doesn't take into consideration water from food we eat, but I love drinking water and won't ever go back to more than the occasional soda.
For some people it works and for others it doesn't.
:)

root beer's tricky stuff. Some brands are caffeinated, some not. You have to check the label. I like Barque's the best, and of course the bloody stuff turned out to be laden with caffeine.

I miss Jolt Cola. Hard to find these days. :D

My wife is addicted to pepsi...can't relate but there are some great waters out there; crystal and aquafina are the best.

Mo2vation:
I don't get the coke or diet coke thing. There are pepsi people and coke people - and I'm a pepsi person.

I was a coke guy, but diet coke is just crap. When I went diet for awhile, it was all diet pepsi...

friend of mine who is a coke drinker found the same thing, too...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom