Socorro vs. Sea of Cortez Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jameseg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In visiting various websites, I've noticed that most of the liveaboard ops that visit Socorro also offer, at different times of the year, trips to the Sea of Cortez at significantly less cost. From what I can tell, Socorro trips are typically longer (8 to 9 days, versus 7 for the Sea of Cortez) and offer a lower probabilty of seeing giant Pacific Mantas. But most of the literature I've read indicates that mantas are a possibility on the Cortez trips, as well as a number of other big pelagics.

I'm interested in understanding more about the similarities/differences/relative value of these two trips, particularly from anyone that's done both trips. Or even just info about the Sea of Cortez trip would be helpful, as there's very little online.

Thanks,
James

Both are great trips- you will see more mantas and sharks at Socorro and the topography is different- there are pinnacles out in Socorro and the dive conditions are a bit more challenging. Socorro is colder and with more current - but that is probably because of the time of year the boats go to those locations. One thing that can be challenging is the 24 hour crossing to Socorro- if you are prone to seasickness it can be quite bad. And then of course, you do it all over again when the diving fun is over. One thing that was in Cortez when I went was "schooling" porcupinefish and I really was glad I saw them but I don't know if this is a common thing to see in Cortez. Hope this helps- and you have a fun trip.

Thanks, shmuggy - appreciate the info. Still narrowing down potential destinations, but both of these look promising - I really like the appeal of a direct flight from MN to Cabo.

James

A couple of additional things to consider. You can do Sea of Cortez by land for a cheaper rate (La Paz and Cabo Pulmo). The trips out to Soccorro are generally from Late November to May. Soccorro has Humpack Whales Feb-April (you will definately see them on the surface and hear them underwater. Need to get very lucky to see them underwater). Bigger schools of sharks in soccorro along with friendly Manta Rays (you wont see these any where else).

Sea of Cortez can offer big schools of mobula rays (unfortunately they like to stay just at the edge of your visibity) and jacks depending on the season. Also you can dive with sea lions in Cortez but you won't see them in Soccorro.

The Rocio Del Mar LOB offers these trips out of Rocky Point. We have some friends doing a sea of cortez trip on that boat that will be flying into Phoenix and then driving the 4 hours to Rocky Point? Another possiblility????

The Rocio Del Mar LOB offers these trips out of Rocky Point. We have some friends doing a sea of cortez trip on that boat that will be flying into Phoenix and then driving the 4 hours to Rocky Point? Another possiblility????

Right, now I remember reading about that option.

Thanks to both of you for the additional info. I think Socorro is the trip I really want to do, but between work schedule and availability, looks like it will need to get pushed into next year.

Thanks to both of you for the additional info. I think Socorro is the trip I really want to do, but between work schedule and availability, looks like it will need to get pushed into next year.

I personally would recommend just using their shuttle service. I have made the trek and it is a long boring drive. Why not have someone else do the driving.

---------- Post added January 17th, 2013 at 01:45 PM ----------

Are you renting a car? You cannot take rentals from the US into Mexico. It is an insurance issue.

I think Socorro is the trip I really want to do, but between work schedule and availability, looks like it will need to get pushed into next year.

James, would it just be yourself or more?

It would be me and my wife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom