Socorro Pretrip Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm getting ready to board the Nautilus Belle Amie. Here's a few things I've learned since I've been in Cabo San Lucas for this trip. If you have Marine Park credits that Nautilus gives you for spending for pre-trip diving, on board expenses, such as nitrox or rental gear, be aware that Nautilus will not let you use the Marine Park credits for the bar on board. This is a change from their policy of a couple of months ago. Also, note that the See Creatures dive shop in Cabo at the Tesoro Resort is very, very low on inventory, should you wish to spend your credits in the dive shop.

Speaking with a divemaster on the boat, there has been no bait balls the last two trips. Water temperatures have been a low of 71 degrees and a high of 75 degrees. Diving conditions have been low visibility due to a lot of wind. The last two days in Cabo have been quite windy, which may give us a rough Crossing tonight.

The dive shop where you check in to get on the boat and do the antigen test has no electricity. The shop is sweltering hot. Apparently, there has been a problem between the landlord and the dive shop and they cut off the electricity. Doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the operation.

You make your reservations and you take your chances. I was in the Revillagigedos at the end of May, 2019, and it was absolutely fantastic Trip Report - Revillagigedos on the Nautilus Explorer, May 24-June 1, 2019

This is why I will NEVER dive South Florida in May of 2021. :) Too soon? Seriously, we were very disappointed to hear about all of the canceled dives on your latest trip. We were in Socorro with the owners of JDC and they were lamenting about the relentless weather and sheer number blown out dive trips.

When we were voicing our irritation about the poor dive conditions and sporty seas in Socorro and Cabo San Lucas the typical response was “May is not the best time to dive here”. Although said rather sheepishly and almost under their breath it was certainly the consensus, but like you said “you take your chances”!

This is why I will NEVER dive South Florida in May... ...like you said “you take your chances”!

My recent trip to SE Florida was the least successful in the last dozen years :(

In general, I have done quite well over the last year

upload_2021-5-30_11-37-32.png

Glad to hear that your trip in May was fantastic. Did you see the illusive bait ball? That's the reason I wanted to go back in May. We didn't see one.
Very large schools of jacks and trevally, but no bait balls

Reactions: Dan
One thing I learned in Socorro is that not only can there be a forward and back surge but up and down as well. And not to fight it. Our first dives at Cabo Pearce were alarming for me in that I could not hold a depth. The harder I tried the worse it got. It was BAD those first dives. I blamed it on my new 7 mm suit and the weight I needed. But repetition did not make it better. My dive profiles looked awful. Another diver on the boat also complained of trouble with buoyancy to the point she sat out a dive with concern with a rapid ascent.

It wasn’t until we changed location to Roca Partida that I was convinced it was indeed the surge.

Reactions: Dan
Very large schools of jacks and trevally, but no bait balls
I too saw large schools of jacks & trevally in the 3 trips to Revillagigedo. They are always around there, especially in Roca Partida.

One thing I learned in Socorro is that not only can there be a forward and back surge but up and down as well. And not to fight it. Our first dives at Cabo Pearce were alarming for me in that I could not hold a depth. The harder I tried the worse it got. It was BAD those first dives. I blamed it on my new 7 mm suit and the weight I needed. But repetition did not make it better. My dive profiles looked awful. Another diver on the boat also complained of trouble with buoyancy to the point she sat out a dive with concern with a rapid ascent.

It wasn’t until we changed location to Roca Partida that I was convinced it was indeed the surge.

The up & down surge in Roca Partida was worse in January. I wrote this in the previous trip report:
There was an upwelling too, where I just couldn’t swim against it even by deflating all the air out of my BCD. It bought me near to the surface, but the upwelling somehow died down near the surface and I was able to descend back to the deep in relatively short of time. What a ride that was.
I guess that’s the signature of blue water diving in Socorro.

Back
Top Bottom