Socorro Liveaboard Grounding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe there is some gear coverage under the DAN insurance. But either way, many years ago I went to my homeowner's insurer and gave them a list of my gear that I think would cost more than most adjusters would ever expect and had them add a specific rider for the property. My agent knew I travel internationally so my additional insurance also covered international incidents.
Either way, go fund me is a reward to stupidity.
There isn't any coverage under DAN insurance for this instance. They only pay if the gear was cut off you and lost during a recovery.

Homeowners rider is the way to go if you aren't a professional.

I am a contractor. My company has insurance for my truck, tools in storage, tools in the truck, tools on a job-site, and the same for materials. If I damage your house etc my company is insured and therefore the job site is covered. I would expect a LB company would have similar insurance.
You can expect it. You will be disappointed.

Many companies offer it, they aren't special. But they often cost as much as the insured item when taken abroad.
No, far from true, usually less than 1% of the item for a year.
I have called, hence my intimate knowledge of the subject.
Okaaay. Other callers with open minds may have better results.
I believe there is some gear coverage under the DAN insurance.
WHICH DAN insurance? DAN Dive insurance is essential. They have other insurance offerings that are not impressive.
I would expect a LB company would have similar insurance.
In Mexico? Good luck on that.

DAN flood insurance is through Allianz Global Corporate & Speciality. As others have noted, insured items are covered for flooding issues. There is a 'Perils Insured' section in the policy. It says, "This policy insures against risks of direct physical loss of or damage to the insured property from any external cause, except as otherwise provided."

Under the 'Perils Excluded' section there is nothing that directly addresses loss from a boat sinking and/or grounding. About the closest exclusion to this situation is: "Items lost while in your Care, Custody or Control - while in use both in and out of the water, dropped overboard or swept overboard." Since the boat grounding took place in the early-morning hours, I doubt anyone was using their camera systems at the time of the grounding.

It will be interesting to see how those with DAN H2O insurance for their equipment make-out with claims. Loss due to a boat sinking and/or grounding appears to not be in the exclusions list on my policy.

I do know with my recent claim. The company paid, but I was contacted by a representative for more information about the circumstances of my loss. They were checking to see if anyone else was responsible for my loss so they could pursue reimbursement from anyone else who was responsible for the loss.

-AZTinman

Reading the response on her post has me shaking my head. I am amazed how many people think that this dive operator will pay to replace all of the gear.
If you can't afford to replace it, you insure it. I do trip insurance sometimes, but it is a rarity. I don't have any of my dive gear covered as it is cheaper to replace than insure unless I lost everything at once. It is covered within my dwelling as a rider in case of a fire. Typically on a trip, I won't have more than $20k worth of gear with me. To cover everything everywhere would cost me in the range of $5k per year last I checked. I come out ahead by not insuring it and assuming the risk.

I can't see the op paying for the gear loss. This is the same op that canceled us in October of 2020 and wouldn't refund our money due to the fact we couldn't go for the next year-and-a-half and wanted us to schedule for this October and we've been paying on this trip since 2017....all I have to say is good luck!! They are a piece of work!

No, far from true, usually less than 1% of the item for a year.
Once again, I'm not speaking about you insuring one of your PLBs.
If you can get international coverage for a Dive professional covering their gear used while teaching for 1% or its value, Myself and every other instructor out there would probably be very interested.
You are comparing apples to oranges.

I truly hate it for everyone on board but Karma got this company

I can't see the op paying for the gear loss. This is the same op that canceled us in October of 2020 and wouldn't refund our money due to the fact we couldn't go for the next year-and-a-half and wanted us to schedule for this October and we've been paying on this trip since 2017....all I have to say is good luck!! They are a piece of work!
They told us they couldn't refund us because they had to pay their boat crew because they were out of work and we had the whole boot booked which costs close to to $40000 US.
..that's what your dealing with

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom