• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

SoCal Dive Reports - Let us know about your dive!

Discussion in 'SoCal' started by Teamcasa, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Scuba Lawyer

Scuba Lawyer Barracuda

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Speaking of relatively old wrecks, @Sam Miller III and I were in Avalon on November 14, 1980 when the ferrocement hull Su Jaq slipped its mooring just outside the dive park, hit the breakwater and sank bow down on a 45 degree list during a heavy Santa Ana Wind. The park boundaries were subsequently extended to include the wreck. Not to miss out, Sam and I came back to dive the wreck either the next weekend or the following one. Not a lot left of that wreck these days. Lots of good dive stories there. Mark

Mystaadam and drbill like this.
  2. azstinger11

azstinger11 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    @Sam Miller III

I am trying to track down a copy of the book you referenced above. The closest I could find I is this:

Diving West Service Publication Southern by Fulton John - AbeBooks

But I have some concerns as the author's name doesn't match and it's a 1980's printing. If that isn't the correct book, by any chance would you have access to the ISBN of the actual book? Or any other details in locating a copy would be greatly appreciated it!

3. Sam Miller III

Sam Miller III Scuba Legend Scuba Legend

That is the second edition -- essentially the same but with different articles by people who did not contribute the first edition.

My then popular article Keepen Kreepers was not included-- It was how to preserve marine critters using common household items.

The book has a place as a significant historical document as the very first dive guide to California diving. I was honored to have been part of it. The OC section was written by the late Ron Merker (@drbills basic Instructor ) and yours truly

I sincerely hope you enjoy the book and it is informative for you and your diving adventures

Sam

4. azstinger11

azstinger11 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Sam,

Thank as always for the information! The wife and I made a great day of tracking through the used book stores of San Clemente, Dana Point, Laguna, and Newport Beach. We sadly couldn't locate any copies of your book but we picked up a small treasure trove other worthwhile diving/marine identification/oceanography/and ocean weather related books. Plus we checked out numerous dive sites along the way! I ordered the second edition copy I linked above and was able to find a 1st edition copy from a small camera book store in Oregon of all places!

Chris

5. Sam Miller III

Sam Miller III Scuba Legend Scuba Legend

@azstinger11

Welcome to a horrible hobby-- a diving bibliophile !
    When I travel south I also make a point to visit the used book stores

It would be a better diving world if there were more who relied the written published word rather than "I think, I believe, I suppose, some one told me" or the big one " If it isn't on google it didn't (or did) happen !"

My interest in the UW world began when I was a teenager and after all these good and great years has never wained. Like you I began my dive library as soon as I was separated from the USAF.

Rather than publish a listing of my dive library I will send you a PM

Enjoy, and welcome to the diving bibliophile world

Sam

6. tdmp

tdmp Angel Fish

Sharks!

Dive Site: Malaga Cove, LA County

Date: September 2, 2019, 8am

Conditions: Low tide but rising. Normally not a good place to dive in low tide conditions due to the slippery rocky entry / exit but the small swell (1-2) made up for it.

Water Temp: 67 on the surface, 59 @ 20ft.

Visibility: Average, 5-6ft in the shallows, 12-15ft on the deeper sections of the reef.

Comments: Malaga is not known for its visibility or easy entry. Visibility is good only a few times a year so most dives will be "average" visibility. This means the first 200 yards of surface swim through the brown murk and then it starting to clear up once you descend to 12-15 ft of depth. No surface kelp right now, so we submerged and took a West heading, loosely following the exposed rock and reef layers. 30 mins out then 30 mins back. Besides numerous lobsters hiding in the nooks, we saw a fairly good sized octopus hiding from us. However the highlight of the trip was on the way back. We were swimming in 18-20ft, the reef on our right shoulder, the sloping sand on our left shoulder. I looked left and saw a large shark swimming mid water past us, probably 7-8ft in length, white on the bottom and grey on the top. My first though was Great White! but then I saw the tail. It was a long, whip-like tail and I immediately recognized it as a thresher shark. I turned to get my buddies attention but alas, it had swam away in the murk.

As we came back into the shallows, we did see a Horned shark on the bottom, probably 3-4ft in length. So we did see sharks (plural) but seeing a thresher shark up close was incredible!

7. MaxBottomtime

MaxBottomtime Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    There have been several sevengill sharks spotted in the area of Malaga Cove recently. H

Here is a thresher from the area.

8. tdmp

tdmp Angel Fish

Well now that you’ve posted those videos I’m not sure. Maybe it was the seven gill shark? It was a quick glimpse so I can’t be sure. I guess I’ll have to go back with a camera now.....either way it was a neat sight!