SoCal beach entry speargun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've spearfished all over SoCal (PV, Laguna, SD) for many years before relocating to the east coast. What I learned was that you can take smaller fish with a large gun, but not the other way around.

My first gun was a JBL 38 Special as well. It was short and easy to load. I took sand bass, female sheephead, and small~medium halibut, rockfish, and a few calico bass with the gun. But, I've lost some nice fish (48+ inch halibut, 20+ inch cabezon) because the gun was underpowered.

Also, the trigger mechanisms on the JBLs will wear out if you use the gun alot (pretty common issue). When they do, the gun will frequently jam. My trigger mechanism began to wear/jam after about 18 months of weekly use. I've heard that the XHD series have a much more durable trigger mechanism.

I had much more success when I got a Riffe C3XS. It's a little long for SCUBA, but I used to do some spearfishing on breathhold as well, so it worked well for me. I'd load just 1 band when shooting from point blank into a hole, and use 2 or 3 bands when shooting something bigger or farther out.

The trigger mechanism on Riffes are nice.

If I were to ever get back into spearfishing in SoCal, I'd proabaly switch the stock 55" threaded shaft on my gun with a 50" hawaiian flopper and just use 2 bands (for easier management and smaller holes).

Wow.. so all I had to do is mention neck and neck with GIU folks and the opinions spilled forth?!!?:D

Thanks for the input. Tailchaser, I may be interested in meeting up sometime. I work in Ventura. I do like the JBL 38 Special NW, and the Riffe Competition 0S. I think getting the 34" range will be sufficient for me. Both of these guns state ~11' range and I can always get a bigger/badder gun once I have a bit more experience. I have come to realize, just as most divers have multiple suits, most speargun owners have multiple guns. There is no one best gun. I will compare at the local shops - I know Sport Chalet carries both JBL and Riffe, so I can hold a few of them and see how they feel, bring a dive glove, etc.

I realize Riffe is a bit more right now then JBL, but at this point, I am not too concerned with that aspect.

Sam, thanks for that post - I do remember reading that in another post here. BTW, you might want to change your profile to say Where... instead of Were... :wink:

scubapatton
If you would like to meet at sports chalet let me know I can show you what I am talking about... Im in there all the time

I will be in there Monday (1/28) and Tuesday (1/29) from around 5:30 to 6:00 or so - possibly till 6:15...

Let me know.

Wow.. so all I had to do is mention neck and neck with GIU folks and the opinions spilled forth?!!?:D

Sam, thanks for that post - I do remember reading that in another post here. BTW, you might want to change your profile to say Where... instead of Were... :wink:

I was waiting for sam to post, he always has great advice IMHO :lotsalove:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for the edit...
I always had difficulties with spelling...that is why I became a Doctor, rather than an English teacher.
sdm

Wow....Did not mean to Russell up anyone's feathers. Tailchaser good hunting brother.
scubapatton, riffe and jbl both make good guns. AB biller also makes a good gun. I was a little misunderstood. The only modifying I usually do is make my own leader. I get rid of the nylon and replace it with SS. JBL guns you can interchange the tubs with trigger mechanisms in the field if necessary. (If you have multiple guns sorry not a good example for a beginner) The stock bands are sufficient. I do play with them sometimes but in general stay stock.
Good Hunt'n y'all!

Wow....Did not mean to Russell up anyone's feathers. Tailchaser good hunting brother.
scubapatton, riffe and jbl both make good guns. AB biller also makes a good gun. I was a little misunderstood. The only modifying I usually do is make my own leader. I get rid of the nylon and replace it with SS. JBL guns you can interchange the tubs with trigger mechanisms in the field if necessary. (If you have multiple guns sorry not a good example for a beginner) The stock bands are sufficient. I do play with them sometimes but in general stay stock.
Good Hunt'n y'all!

Hope you dont think you russelled up my feathers:D:D:D Its all in good fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom