So...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlackPatch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all.

The point of this post is a lighthearted look at activities outside of SCUBA that may get you before your time is up.. Basically, what will get you first?

(As a side note here, everyone is well aware that smoking and drinking are not encouraged as a side by side pass time of SCUBA, yet many will be either Smokers or Drinkers. Possibly even both. That is the individuals choice and they are not to be flamed for it. From neither your personal stand point nor a medical one.)

I will start the ball rolling:

Bad Points.

I smoke.
I drink.
I Solo Climb. Often in excess of that to which I dive.
I used to Jump Out of Airplanes for a living and was injured.
I have been around people with Guns, and sometimes still am.

My reasoning is this.

Public perception is that SCUBA IS DANGEROUS. I am a firm believer in mitigating risk but I am the first to admit, I DO NOT EXERCISE IT ALL THE TIME.

So what will get you ?

Scuba diving ain't dangerous if you use common sense and follow the rules.

I got into scuba diving because I kept hurting myself playing basketball ... till one day my wife told me I had to find something safer to do. I jokingly told her to buy me scuba lessons and I'd give up basketball. Who knew she'd take me seriously?

12+ years and over 3100 dives later I'm diving ... haven't picked up a basketball in all that time ... and haven't injured myself nearly as much or as seriously as I did back then ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I used to smoke. I've quit a couple of times in my life...longest time for 7 years (started when I was about 12). I put them down for good April 2012. I drink...but not to excess any more. Probably what is going to get me first is the damage I did when I was younger related to jobs. Working in very dusty and very suspect (read...asbestos) environments with inadequate breathing protection...working with thinners and other chemicals in an auto body shop. Who knows... On the plus side, i've started exercising more regularly and eat pretty healthy.

John

Awesome NWGrateful, that's a cool wife.

I used to street race motorcycles and cars (illegally).
I used to fight for the adrenaline rush
I used to speed then run from cops to see if I could get away (I always did)
I never smoked, drank or did drugs, but I did have an addiction to someone else's wife (I've climbed out of more than one window), which almost got me killed.

Today, all I really do is Work, Dive, Hang with wife and kids. Probably the most dangerous part of my life is driving to and from each of those activities. I've really only had one close call diving. I've had dozens of close calls in all the scenarios listed above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom