So you’ve completed your OW Scuba Certification….now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI requires only Adventure Diver including NAV dive. That changed years ago.
Ah, ok. Thx. I never ever considered Adventure Diver, so that probably explains it.

Adventure is still above OW, though, so they still don't allow going directly from OW to Rescue.

I was certified on Sep. 30. The following week I did AOW in Cabo which in my opinion, was a bunch of adventure dives with a Navigation Dive in there. Came back and did the rescue course because I am a Registered Nurse and taking the class made sense given my background.
Since certification I’ve made 39 Dives outside of training. I linked up with a couple diver groups in the area that meet regularly. The one I’m really excited for is that I reached out to our county Sheriffs Office Dive Team and was invited to come observe and if things work out, start training to be a volunteer Public Safety Diver. The PSD training is lengthy and my first day there, I didn’t even splash. Just watched. As they meet more and we build a foundation of trust, I’ll be allowed to participate more. Truly excited for that.
In the meantime, I splash as much as I can find a buddy to splash with.

Nothing is better than experience. Why did you get into diving? I did it because of the Jacques Cousteau shows. I wanted to see and experience that world. 40 plus years later.I still love it. Classes can help your knowledge but nothing is better than experience. A good buddy is the best addition (imho) that you can do. Your life is in their hands. My buddy only has OW and I feel safer with her than a friend who has a DM cert. Go out and enjoy why we dive and don't be worried about badges. Bill

I was certified on Sep. 30. The following week I did AOW in Cabo which in my opinion, was a bunch of adventure dives with a Navigation Dive in there. Came back and did the rescue course because I am a Registered Nurse and taking the class made sense given my background.
Since certification I’ve made 39 Dives outside of training. I linked up with a couple diver groups in the area that meet regularly. The one I’m really excited for is that I reached out to our county Sheriffs Office Dive Team and was invited to come observe and if things work out, start training to be a volunteer Public Safety Diver. The PSD training is lengthy and my first day there, I didn’t even splash. Just watched. As they meet more and we build a foundation of trust, I’ll be allowed to participate more. Truly excited for that.
In the meantime, I splash as much as I can find a buddy to splash with.

Props to you I guess on wanting to become a PSD diver. Zero interest in doing this. You're often diving in super nasty water with zero visibility and are working by touch/feel only. They often call it Braille diving because you literally are blind under the water and are working by touch.

Props to you I guess on wanting to become a PSD diver. Zero interest in doing this. You're often diving in super nasty water with zero visibility and are working by touch/feel only. They often call it Braille diving because you literally are blind under the water and are working by touch.
Yes that is exactly what I was told before I came out. The gentleman did a very good job trying to get all of the ugly out up front. Specifically body recovery.
For myself it’s about where I’ve been as a soldier and a nurse. I feel those life experiences can help me to deal with new ones like this. I wanted to dive and serve my community and this seemed win-win to me.

PADI requires only Adventure Diver including NAV dive. That changed years ago.

It will may cost more and take longer to get adventure diver, since it is not normally done and may have to be a private class. AOW is considered the next step, and scheduled regularly in most shops. Also some dive operations require it for deeper dives so an AOW card is handy to have it for that as well.

The SSI version of rescue has no prerequisites, if you have a local shop available.

After my PADI OW certification I decided to move to SSI Specializations. My path is to become SSI Master Diver. I moved from padi to ssi because I didnt like the way that padi force a strict curriculum. SSI allows for a more open teaching methodology, were the instructor can add topics as they see fit and the weather allows.

Right now, Iam working on the following specialties:

- nitrox
- DPV
- deep dive
- navigation
- diver stress and rescue

When w
After my PADI OW certification I decided to move to SSI Specializations. My path is to become SSI Master Diver. I moved from padi to ssi because I didnt like the way that padi force a strict curriculum. SSI allows for a more open teaching methodology, were the instructor can add topics as they see fit and the weather allows.

Right now, Iam working on the following specialties:

- nitrox
- DPV
- deep dive
- navigation
- diver stress and rescue
When did you get your OW certification?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom