So what's the word on the $195 Aqua Lung i-100 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as PZ+ is the right decompression algorithm for you. Oceanic VEO 2.0 is the same computer, same cost runs both DSAT and PZ+

I was waiting for somebody to bring the "Algorithm" into this discussion. The AL i300C is a new computer without an equivalent in the Oceanic DC product line AFAIK.

I was waiting for somebody to bring the "Algorithm" into this discussion. The AL i300C is a new computer without an equivalent in the Oceanic DC product line AFAIK.
They added Bluetooth and 3 gases, had to differentiate themselves in some way since they can't offer dual algorithm. Aqua Lung probably should have bought Oceanic when they bought PPS, then they would have been able to control the dive computer market even more effectively. It remains to be seen what Huish will do with Oceanic. I'm not at all sure that all the recent consolidation will work out in favor of us divers.

Aqua Lung probably should have bought Oceanic when they bought PPS, then they would have been able to control the dive computer market even more effectively.

I think that they already do control for many other brands. I don't think that AL would have gained anything by buying Oceanic itself. Nothing in Oceanic's product line adds value to AL's product line. I have been reviewing AL's offerings and it is excellent and would satisfy all needs in all product categories especially if you include Apeks in the mix. AL was in need of good computer line that is "theirs" and they did a smart move by buying the company that manufactured most of the dive computers sold in the world today. One can't judge AL's DC line yet, I am sure that more interesting things are coming down the line. AL has substantial cash money pit than what Oceanic had and I anticipate that they will invest it wisely. They will probably acquire other computer company to compete against Scubapro's high end computers. AL is the largest dive equipment mfg. in the world by a wide margin in the civilian market and probably even bigger in the military market worldwide. Only SP comes close second with Mares very distant third.

Last edited:
Interesting, you brought up the algorithm topic with your post regarding Mares RGBM

I was waiting for somebody that would take it higher and higher :)

Hi @BurhanMuntasser

The lack of competition will limit offerings to the dive community. I have no interest in a mediocre computer running a middle of the road decompression algorithm like PZ+. I'm glad it meets your requirements. My next computer will likely be running Buhlmann ZH-L 16 C with gradient factors, with which I have a fair amount experience. Unless Aqua Lung also offers Buhlmann, they will be left far behind. Proprietery, conservative deco algorithms are just so 20tweens.

Hi @BurhanMuntasser

The lack of competition will limit offerings to the dive community. I have no interest in a mediocre computer running a middle of the road decompression algorithm like PZ+. I'm glad it meets your requirements. My next computer will likely be running Buhlmann ZH-L 16 C with gradient factors, with which I have a fair amount experience. Unless Aqua Lung also offers Buhlmann, they will be left far behind. Proprietery, conservative deco algorithms are just so 20tweens.

I am sure that they would address the need for a computer with GF at some point but now they have what they need to address the 95% of the market just fine. I agree that their supposed "high end" dive computers are a joke but these were an inheritance from the PPS Ocean-AL deal and probably have lots of R&D overhead they need to take care of at this point. The greater majority of DC consumers have no clue what "algorithms" GF or Buhlmann are all about and only know what they need to know to buy a basic computer that does what it supposed to do for them.

I am sure that they would address the need for a computer with GF at some point but now they have what they need to address the 95% of the market just fine. I agree that their supposed "high end" dive computers are a joke but these were an inheritance from the PPS Ocean-AL deal and probably have lots of R&D overhead they need to take care of at this point. The greater majority of DC consumers have no clue what "algorithms" GF or Buhlmann are all about and only know what they need to know to buy a basic computer that does what it supposed to do for them.
They got what they got when they bought PPS. It's too bad that the majority of computer purchasers are ignorant, many make a purchasing error. PZ+ is certainly better than buying Suunto, Mares, or Cressi RGBM. Any dive computer will work for any diver, but, will it be a good choice?

They got what they got when they bought PPS. It's too bad that the majority of computer purchasers are ignorant, many make a purchasing error. PZ+ is certainly better than buying Suunto, Mares, or Cressi RGBM. Any dive computer will work for any diver, but, will it be a good choice?

It depends on specific diver needs, wants, etc. I was OK with my Suunto computers for a very long time but I just can't take any more conservatism as is the case with Cressi and Mares computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom