So what the heck is a semi dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigFame

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I mean it seems like a wet suit allows you to get wet, a dry suit keeps you dry and a semi dry suit is in essence a wetsuit with dry suit seals. I am not sure then if the only difeerence between the semi dry and a dry suit the ability to fill it with air? If that is it, then why is a dry suit 2x or 3x times more expensive? Thanks in advance folks.

A semi-dry suit is a drysuit older than about two weeks . . . :D

No, seriously; a dry suit is supposed to keep the diver within it DRY. A semi-dry suit has seals that limit the amount of water flow through the suit, but there is no plan that the diver inside will remain dry.

I agree. It's a wet suit with neck, wrist & ankle seals & a zipper designed, as TS&M mentioned, helps keep water movement to a minimum. A semi dry can not be filled with air. Dry suits tend to be more expensive because their zippers (usually the most expensive part) is designed to be water proof (if it's in good shape & zipped up all the way).

Ahh Semi - Dry... When I asked this very question, a wise instructor once replied,"Semi-Dry? Sure, they're uhhmm... Semi-great".

Semi dry are wet suits with dry suit zippers and seals to help keep you a little warmer. I use one for the quarries around here and I like it. Granted the closest thing to it I ever used was a 5 mil suit so I don't know how say a farmer john 7mm or a regular 7mm will be in comparison to the 8/6mm semi dry as far as warmth. However I can tolerate low 50's high 40's in this suit. Just need different gloves.

Ahh Semi - Dry... When I asked this very question, a wise instructor once replied,"Semi-Dry? Sure, they're uhhmm... Semi-great".

I've also heard them described as semi-wet suits . . .

Ken

Bigfame, for the water temps your diving there great, I wear a 7mm jumpsuit in the summer, takes over 10 pounds of weight off you belt or BC.

The Henderson Instadry 7 mm jumpsuit (single suit) Is a very warm, that lets very little water in, take it off after 1st dive amd is dry as well you are for second dive, almost dry when you leave it on after a dive.

I know you just getting certified so I would say get a semi dry, in the winter or colder months the reason for a drysuit is outside temp on second dive or boat diving.

Taking pictures your not movin alot, But plain ole divin and seeing lots as you go buy will generate heat for a dive, the semi and say titanium layers will help shed the water from the suit as you move through it so the heat loss is less than a basic wetsuit.

At NWSD look at the northern diving gloves, the Instadry from Henderson is close in construction of material, and those gloves are the warmest gloves i have ever owned.

Happy Diving

A semi dry suit isn't so if it doesn't fit properly. The better the fit, the better it is limiting water in and out of your suit.

I have the Xcel SCS Polar 9/7/6mm one piece about $350 on sale/last years model. Very comfortable and warmer compared to my 7mm Farmer John. Less weight on my belt, comfortable down to 44F, very little water movement.

Problem - do not pee in suit - will not rinse like wetsuit. I am going to have a pee zipper installed since I tend to be in the water for more than 3 hrs.

I use the Xcel titanium 5/4 gloves - warm fingers to 46F and very comfortable.

A semi dry is also the result if your p-valve plumbing comes apart without your knowledge in your previously dry suit. Or if you forget to close the relief zipper the first time you use the new drysuit when entering the water at the Ear in Ginnie Springs.

Back
Top Bottom