So what do I want in a Coz dive trip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great reviews and stories Don. I sure hope I can get there soon. Can't wait for the pics.
Haha I just shoot for fun, not that great of quality, then put almost all of them into an online slide show for friends. Don't expect much but I'll edit and load them in a few days. Just got back from Valladolid area bushed...!

We got back to the PDC ferry just after 5pm and caught the 5:10 ferry - beats me, but I didn't argue, just got on. We had cheeseburgers & fries at that nice open air place just across from the ferry dock; anyone remember the name? Same price as Hogtown Cafe, but real beef, huge patties at that, great burgers & great service. :thumb:
Glad you're having a good trip, Don. Just FYI, the shops I've used in Cozumel, the price per 2-tank trip has been inclusive of daily park fee and tax. Have you actually had to pay it extra? I usually pay by traveler's cheques (some do still take them) or cash. Credit cards with most do carry an extra service fee to cover the high merchant processing fees in Mexico, but they tell you that upfront so if I choose that convenience then I know ahead of time.
I have dived with only one shop for years and that was with a hotel & dives packages so my basis for comparison is small, and then there is my memory thing. :confused: I have seen some advertise "plus tax & park fees." :idk: Anyway, with $58 - 2 tank trips, no charge for 100 cf tanks, $7 nitrox, no charge for crossing the channel or moving yesterday's boat up an hour earlier, I wondered if either might be added? Nope, not at all. I'm taking the coffee pot to them as we leave, along with any leftover coffee liqueur and anything else I think they just might like to have and I don't want to try to carry home. :eyebrow:

Last edited:
Palmeras I think is where you are talking about right on the square at the ferry.... Opal, Mau, and the whole staff at Scuba Mau are truly making a superior name for themselves and are getting good grassroots support. They are a valet service dive op that knows what it takes to keep us all wanting to come back for more. I'm glad you had a positive experience with them like we did. Now, if I could just figure out how to get back down there during the school year up here I could quit dreaming and live it again!!! :) Safe travels home to you. Thanks for taking the time to post as you could while there. I do look forward to the pix slide show.

We are going to try to get in a couple of dives here before we go to Cozumel, which will help with getting wet, but still am looking forward to getting in lots of dives, not having to deal with work and doing it in a nice sunny and warm spot. The reason I wanted to go to Turtle Alley was not so much to see lots of turtles as I know you can see them around Cozumel, but was to see the giant sea turtles. In 2006 when we were there we found out too late about as we were told it was called, Tarpon Alley, that it was great place to go see the giant sea turtles. I have only once seen a giant sea turtle and that was very briefly in Florida as he passed under the dive boat just before I had to get out of the water.

Check out Deep Blue Divers, they have small speedboats and great DMs $65 for a 2 tank boat trip
Well thanks, and I know that you are new here, but I don't know about your background, location or diving experiences - much less your experienced with Coz diving as you have withheld all that from your profile. While Deep Blue may well be a good op with good prices, the same can be said for most ops on the island as competition is tough there. Anyway, I have no need to try them or any others for now as I just returned from the best dive op experiences I have ever had there, for the least money. Some other divers may prefer shinier boats, nicer shop buildings, and some other taste oriented details that have little to do with actual diving - for my money: you can't beat the great & friendly services with best prices I just enjoyed this week.

Same time next year if not sooner...!

... Anyway, I have no need to try them or any others for now as I just returned from the best dive op experiences I have ever had there, for the least money. Some other divers may prefer shinier boats, nicer shop buildings, and some other taste oriented details that have little to do with actual diving - for my money: you can't beat the great & friendly services with best prices I just enjoyed this week.

Same time next year if not sooner...!
Don, I couldn't agree more. Everyone has their favorites for whatever reasons, and Scuba Mau happens to be mine for the reasons you mentioned.

Thanks, Don, for the running commentary during the trip. Sounds like you had a great time with Scuba Mau. We might have to give them a try next Summer.

Thanks DD!

I didn't get the chance to check in until now, but I've been wondering how the "new place" worked out for you... GREAT post! Sounds like a perfect birthday week :)

dandydon:
reef tank:
dandydon:
reef tank:
I didn't see if you mentioned gear storage in your report. Does scuba mau have lockers or are you dragging everything back to your room each night and during lunch?
i left my bc, fins, pony bottle, both regs on the boat, but watched them unload all that to take to their shop for rinse and storage. It was all on the boat waiting the next morning.

I kept everything else to rinse, dry, store myself.

Is villablanca more than a couple minute walk from downtown? I also, would like to scope out other operations for the following visit but i don't want to hire a cab. Their map isn't clear: http://www.villablanca.net/villablanca/img/mapa.gif
too far for me to walk. If you ask questions in the thread, the answers benefit others. Get this map cozumel mexico map and travel guide featuring hotels, restuarants, diving & snorkeling. Beach clubs, cruise ship docks, chankanaab park and much more.

OK, ok

Haha that'll work. The activities on Coz are pretty spread out along the channel for many miles so it's hard to avoid using a cab or rental car if you want to go someplace different. VB is not an excessive walk from town, but we were too lazy for the 70 peso cab ride. With several cafes and a convenience store within a block tho, you can minimize that.

That $10 map will help a lot.

Back
Top Bottom